• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: Facebook bans 'dangerous individuals'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    “Technically correct”
    “Within the law”

What you appear to be proposing is a change to the law, to force private companies to provide platforms to extreme views?

I’m sure there are no unintended consequences there, and that it will all end well.
    I think we can all agree that extreme views and actual hate speech should be subject to consequences. The issue here is private companies using hate speech moderation to silence non-hateful political opinions that are on the other side of their bias. Yes Facebook/Google etc are all private companies but as was pointed out they have grown to be so big that they could be considered public platforms.

The key point being made here is using 'hate speech' laws to silence valid political voices with the intention of trying to influence the outcome of democratic elections (2020 US election).

This kind of thing

Say what you like about the source of the above link but before you start crying "Fake news" - is anything in the above article actually fake?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
      I think we can all agree that extreme views and actual hate speech should be subject to consequences.
      Okay, great.

The issue here is private companies using hate speech moderation to silence non-hateful political opinions that are on the other side of their bias.
      The irony is, this is your bias. They say it’s hateful, you say it’s not. Its opinion either way, the difference though is that they own the company.

Yes Facebook/Google etc are all private companies but as was pointed out they have grown to be so big that they could be considered public platforms.
      So? Anything outward-facing could be considered “public” but they are not. Pubs, shops, concert venues, CUK, your own personal website, etc. All of them are in reality private. Wanting something to be public so that you get to decide who goes in or who has a say, doesn’t make it so.

If you want to try to change U.K. law, go for it. They’re American companies.

The key point being made here is using 'hate speech' laws to silence valid political voices with the intention of trying to influence the outcome of democratic elections (2020 US election).
      You say they’re valid political voices. Opinion. What do you care about US elections, that’s for the American people to decide. If they want far-right commentary there are plenty of other places for them to get that (Fox, Breitbart, etc)

Is it only political commentary you want to see? What about other extreme views?

This kind of thing

Say what you like about the source of the above link but before you start crying "Fake news" - is anything in the above article actually fake?
      Zero Hedge? Now I see where the problem might be....

Is anything actually fake? Yes - is the writer’s name real or fake?

Comment

The irony is, this is your bias. They say it’s hateful, you say it’s not. Its opinion either way, the difference though is that they own the company.
        It's not it's their bias- what they call 'hateful' and 'dangerous' is people saying things that criticise liberal identity politics - example:

What is 'hateful' and 'dangerous' about that?

You say they’re valid political voices. Opinion. What do you care about US elections, that’s for the American people to decide. If they want far-right commentary there are plenty of other places for them to get that (Fox, Breitbart, etc)

Is it only political commentary you want to see? What about other extreme views?
        I'd like an open platform that doesn't have one side filtered out so I can make my mind up without Facebook attempting to influence my decision next time there is a vote over here on something important. Apparently election meddling is a bad thing - or is it OK for one side to do it and not the other?

Zero Hedge? Now I see where the problem might be....

Is anything actually fake? Yes - is the writer’s name real or fake?
        Is the content of the article fake? Like all this acceptable non-hateful behaviour from democrats:

According to Breitbart's James Caruso, Twitter appears to have two sets of standards, and has given many on the left a pass for much, much worse behavior. Via Breitbart:
        • Twitter allowed a number of verified accounts to participate in doxxing and violent threats against teenagers from Covington Catholic high school in January.
        • Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) was on the receiving end of vicious sexist Twitter abuse after she defended Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.
        • Actor Peter Fonda said that Barron Trump should be taken away from his Melania and put in a cage with pedophiles. Fonda also called for Kirstjen Nielsen to be whipped. He later apologized.
        • Hollywood star Jim Carrey posted a drawing of Eric Trump and Donald Trump Jr. getting bludgeoned to death by an elephant last year. The tweet is still up.
        • In 2016, various accounts called for and cheered on the shooting of police officers.
        Yeah that's from Brietbart - does that mean it's immediately discounted as fake? Did any of the above not happen?
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

It's not it's their bias- what they call 'hateful' and 'dangerous' is people saying things that criticise liberal identity politics - example:

What is 'hateful' and 'dangerous' about that?

As I said, your bias is that it is not hateful or dangerous. Theirs is that it is. Both are opinions. Clearly there is a discrepancy in the opinions.

They own the platform. You are free to use or not use it.

I'd like an open platform that doesn't have one side filtered out so I can make my mind up without Facebook attempting to influence my decision next time there is a vote over here on something important.
          No such thing exists. As I’ve already pointed out, even CUK has moderators.

Don’t use the platform if you don’t want them to influence your views. Or use it to balance out Zero Hedge and Breitbart....

Apparently election meddling is a bad thing - or is it OK for one side to do it and not the other?
          There are laws in the U.K., and presumably in the USA, to deal with interference in politics. If there is “meddling” then it will go before the relevant authorities.

Is the content of the article fake? Like all this acceptable non-hateful behaviour from democrats:

Yeah that's from Brietbart - does that mean it's immediately discounted as fake? Did any of the above not happen?
          Being from Breitbart doesn’t automatically mean that it’s fake, but it does raise red flags as to the bias and/or completeness of reporting.

Regardless, it doesn’t matter whether it happened or not. If someone’s First Amendment rights have been infringed, or if they have been libelled, then they can sue.

Comment

Not all news delivered by the Reichsministerium für Volksaufklärung und Propaganda (Propagandaministerium) were fake news.

Joseph Goebbels made even smarter move - he created radio which supposedly was against Nazies, so people were fooled to listen in and that radio was telling a lot of the truth, but not the whole truth and certainly not the truth that was very important to the Nazi regime - Putin copied it in a form of RT and useful idiots in the West created their own channels of fake news, mostly for financial reasons rather ideology.

Sadly education system in the West has been systematically undermined by Tory Scum and Republicans, which is why there are so many gullible Mor Ons ready to consume utter tosh.
            Last edited by AtW; 6 May 2019, 18:00.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Not all news delivered by the Reichsministerium für Volksaufklärung und Propaganda (Propagandaministerium) were fake news.

Joseph Goebbels made even smarter move - he created radio which supposedly was against Nazies, so people were fooled to listen in and that radio was telling a lot of the truth, but not the whole truth and certainly not the truth that was very important to the Nazi regime - Putin copied it in a form of RT and useful idiots in the West created their own channels of fake news, mostly for financial reasons rather ideology.

Sadly education system in the West has been systematically undermined by Tory Scum and Republicans, which is why there are so many gullible Mor Ons ready to consume utter tosh.
              where as russian draft dodging immigrants know the TRUTH!
              hear ye, hear ye...........
              the TRUTH is with squirrel molesters YAY!

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                There are laws in the U.K., and presumably in the USA, to deal with interference in politics. If there is “meddling” then it will go before the relevant authorities.
                I believe The Donald is on the case with this.

Comment

I believe The Donald is on the case with this.
                  Four words that don’t go together very often....

Comment

241m Europeans 'may have received Russian-linked disinformation' | World news | The Guardian

Comment

The Grauniad? FFS, the ironing!
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X