• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Letter from Metropolitan Police

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Why should I have to do the Police's job for them. I am innocent until proven guilty.
    Methinks the lady doth protest too much

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      What's the alleged offence?

But yes, you should definitely challenge it in court. I know you'll take my advice, because you know I have your best interests at heart.
      "Motor vehicle fail to comply with endorsable section 36 traffic sign - manned equipment() (Contrary to section 36(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988, the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016 and Schedule 2 to the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988.)"

I understand that this could be easily solved by writing a nice letter explaining that it wasn't me and providing evidence to that effect - the point is, why should I? The Police obviously think that this was a serious enough crime to prosecute, so, I think I'll let them.
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Methinks the lady doth protest too much

Have you not got a squirrel to molest, or a brick wall to demolish?
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Right, letter written...

"Dear Sir/Madam,

In receipt of your letter referenced above.

Unfortunately, none of the options presented on the reverse of your letter dated 1st May 2019 are appropriate to the situation I'm presented with so I must send your letter back unsigned but not unacknowledged.

If you wish to present this matter to the courts then I look forward to appraising your "credible evidence" and I'll see you in court.

Yours faithfully

etc."

For those of you that are genuinely interested in proceedings I'll keep you informed. The rest of you need not respond, unless of course for tulips and giggles.

Comment

"Motor vehicle fail to comply with endorsable section 36 traffic sign - manned equipment() (Contrary to section 36(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988, the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016 and Schedule 2 to the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988.)"

I understand that this could be easily solved by writing a nice letter explaining that it wasn't me and providing evidence to that effect - the point is, why should I? The Police obviously think that this was a serious enough crime to prosecute, so, I think I'll let them.
            Go for it old son!
            let us know how you get on

Comment

For those of you that are genuinely interested in proceedings I'll keep you informed. The rest of you need not respond, unless of course for tulips and giggles.
              It'll all end in tears....

Comment

Had a similar thing happen to me. Got the letter stating I had been caught on camera and would be prosecuted for doing some offence or other in some town which I had never visited. Wrote back asking for said photograph which i received. Wrote back pointing out that not only was it impossible for both my vehicle and myself to have been in that town at that time but the car in the photograph was different to mine and had a different number plate. Case closed with an apology.
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

photograph was different to mine
                  Good point. There may be a cloned plate but unlikely to be an identical vehicle.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Hang on a minute mate, they have to prove the case, they say they have credible evidence.
                    That is correct, and they will indeed have to present evidence to the court if they hope to get a conviction.

The letter you received, however, is about a different but related matter. It is a notification under section 172 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, informing you that you have a duty to tell the police who was driving the car at the time stated in the letter. If you notify them that it was you, then that notification forms part of the evidence in the speeding matter.
                    If you don't notify them as required, you will be guilty of a crime, typically punished by 6 points on your licence and a large fine.
                    If you do notify them but tell them lies, you risk a few months jail for perverting the course of justice.

Magistrates and police know that many people who say they were not driving are often lying (I'm not accusing you of this) so tend to closely question you about it, and require you to provide evidence such as credit card statements to show your whereabouts etc.

My advice, for what it is worth, is to write to them stating that the car was parked up all day (if you are sure this is the case), perhaps enclose a photo of it, and if it is a clone job then hopefully they'll see that its appearance is different.

PePiPoo: Section 172 - UK Motoring Law

Comment

"Motor vehicle fail to comply with endorsable section 36 traffic sign - manned equipment()
                      Failed to stop at a level crossing or something.

I understand that this could be easily solved by writing a nice letter explaining that it wasn't me and providing evidence to that effect - the point is, why should I?
                      Because it's unwise to get into an arse-kicking contest with a centipede.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X