• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Letter from Metropolitan Police

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letter from Metropolitan Police

I arrived home from work to a letter from the Metropolitan Police with a "NOTICE OF INTENDED PROSECUTION"

Stating that "Under section 1 of the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988, we intend to take proceedings against the driver of the following motor vehicle for the offence alleged below:

Vehicle Make / Registration number: MERCEDES / MY VEHICLE REGISTRATION Number...

blah blah blah at 18:52 hrs on 26/04/2019 at A406, Edmonton, N18."

With a request for driver information and warning me that "This allegation can be supported by credible evidence in court."

Given that the weekend in question, my car was parked outside my house, the registered keeper's address in Manchester, do I respond saying "see you in court", or do I suck Police Cock and tell them that obviously somone has cloned my plates?

What would you do in a similar situation?

Bearing in mind that it is my intention to enjoy my day in court.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

pepipoo?

does sound like its a cloned plates issue. get some custom plates fast.

Can you charge for loss of earnings etc?

Do be careful they don't believe most peoples lies. You may be honest but you will have to prove it.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      pepipoo?

does sound like its a cloned plates issue. get some custom plates fast.

Can you charge for loss of earnings etc?

Do be careful they don't believe most peoples lies. You may be honest but you will have to prove it.
      Hang on a minute mate, they have to prove the case, they say they have credible evidence.

Surely I should attend court and listen to this evidence. And then present my defence. And claim for costs.

It's not for me to solve this crime. However, if it has an impact on my family and myself then surely I should claim for compensation...

If the Police turn up at my door to arrest me for a crime that happened in the great metropolis a matter of hours ago and my vehicle is there, for all to see in Manchester, that's their problem mate, not mine.

If the Police wish to pull me over at any point in time because thay suspect me and my vehicle have been involved in a crime, then what can I do, merely comply and get ready to sue?
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
        Hang on a minute mate, they have to prove the case, they say they have credible evidence.

Surely I should attend court and listen to this evidence. And then present my defence. And claim for costs.

It's not for me to solve this crime. However, if it has an impact on my family and myself then surely I should claim for compensation...

If the Police turn up at my door to arrest me for a crime that happened in the great metropolis a matter of hours ago and my vehicle is there, for all to see in Manchester, that's their problem mate, not mine.

If the Police wish to pull me over at any point in time because thay suspect me and my vehicle have been involved in a crime, then what can I do, merely comply and get ready to sue?
        You have zero knowledge of how the legal system works. You have a duty to disclose evidence and outline your case well in advance of attending court else, even if you win; you can be liable for costs.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          You have zero knowledge of how the legal system works. You have a duty to disclose evidence and outline your case well in advance of attending court else, even if you win; you can be liable for costs.
          They contacted me. The onus is on them. There is nothing on the form that says, "Yes, a vehicle with that registration number is mine but my vehicle was not present at the scene of the crime at the time".
          Last edited by Zigenare; 3 May 2019, 23:12.

Comment

I've read the PACEA and Moriarty books. My dear old Dad was a DI, ex RCS, RDS(Northern), ARU, TAG. It's not passed down through blood but certainly through the culture.

Now, in my stints in Norn'irn(45 Cdo), I'll admit to kicking a few doors in, was your mother's one of them or were you the 8 year old kid who pissed on me when I was hunkered down behind a wall seeking refuge against a PIRA sniper in XMG?

Did you know the twat I snuffed through 8" of concrete behind the wall of a block of flats because he felt safe taking potshots from the 12th floor?

My guess is you're as plastic as Auld Greg(Bhoy)
            Last edited by Zigenare; 4 May 2019, 02:39.

Comment

They contacted me. The onus is on them. There is nothing on the form that says, "Yes, a vehicle with that registration number is mine but my vehicle was not present at the scene of the crime at the time".
              Of course ther isn't a space on the form for everything because they expect whoever receives the form is of a mental age high enough to write a letter in those circumstances. Obviously you havn't the ability. Ask your mum to write to them.

I've read the PACEA and Moriarty books. My dear old Dad was a DI, ex RCS, RDS(Northern), ARU, TAG. It's not passed down through blood but certainly through the culture.

Now, in my stints in Norn'irn(45 Cdo), I'll admit to kicking a few doors in, was your mother's one of them or were you the 8 year old kid who pissed on me when I was hunkered down behind a wall seeking refuge against a PIRA sniper in XMG?

Did you know the twat I snuffed through 8" of concrete behind the wall of a block of flats because he felt safe taking potshots from the 12th floor?

My guess is you're as plastic as Auld Greg(Bhoy)
              You really have mental issues. You sound like a delinquent kid bragging in the school playground. I am surprised that you didn't say your dad was in the SAS
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Of course ther isn't a space on the form for everything because they expect whoever receives the form is of a mental age high enough to write a letter in those circumstances. Obviously you havn't the ability. Ask your mum to write to them.

You really have mental issues. You sound like a delinquent kid bragging in the school playground. I am surprised that you didn't say your dad was in the SAS
                Listen to Paddy. He's right on this.
                the legal stuff, and the 'WTF are you on' part.

If you just rock up to court with a mouth full of smart answers you'll pay a large fine, and probably get more points.
                Write a letter to the prosecuting authority, with supporting evidence. When you complete the form, you state that there was no driver at the time as the car was not where they say, and ask for their supporting evidence (you have a right to that prior to any court case). That's my advice, not that it'll be taken.

If the OP knows as much as he claims about the law, he'd know that unprepared idiots tend to not get the justice they desire. He could even get done for contempt with smart-arse answers.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Only a matter of time before the law caught up with your sort.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

What would you do in a similar situation?
                    I'd be asking for a copy of their evidence, which is usually a photo showing the vehicle and driver at the time of the offence.

Then see if the car differs from your model/spec so easier to prove it's not your vehicle.

Then post the image of the perp on social media to out them so you can pass their details onto the fuzz, which is all they want at this point.

Alternatively, send the notice back stamped 'FOAD' and prepare for a rumble in court.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                    X