• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Italian Lakes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Hiya,

Holiday planning for next year - we're at Monaco for the Historic Grand Prix in May and we're driving down. We go every two years and normally make it a 10 or 12 day round trip. This time my wife wants to visit the lakes in Northern Italy and I fancy a bit of derestricted Autobahn. I was thinking of doing the stretch from Baden-Baden to Freiburg im Bressau, staying overnight in Freiburg and then heading down to Northern Italy through Switzerland.

I know there's a few people here who have done stints in Switzerland and whatnot. Does anyone have any recommendations for that part of The World? - we don't really want to visit The Black Forest, we'd prefer Como, Maggiore or Garda for a few days. Anywhere particularly nice that we should consider taking in or other recommendations? Lake Como looks picturesque.

Andy
    Be sure to visit Isola Bella on Lake Maggiore. There's a four poster bed there where Napoleon is reputed to have slept! Also don't forget if going to Milan, that the painting of the last supper is in a church there. When my daughter (she's artistic) visited me when I was working in Milan, she only realised this last minute, but only arrived at the church after it had closed to the public and we were flying back the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
      Personally, I thought that Garda was a bit tacky, and underwhelming.

Early May will be rather chilly, since it is just south of the Alps.
      "I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I have resigned my IPSE Membership from 4 June, 2019. IPSEXit."

I'm staying in, if it's only to snap at the heels of the BoD.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
        "I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I have resigned my IPSE Membership from 4 June, 2019. IPSEXit."

I'm staying in, if it's only to snap at the heels of the BoD.
        You can only snap at their heels if you aren't wearing a muzzle? They own the muzzle, and the leashes.

Free your mind rather.

Quick exit...
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
          You can only snap at their heels if you aren't wearing a muzzle? They own the muzzle, and the leashes.

Free your mind rather.

Quick exit...
          yes, and I've been muzzled!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Lots there for me to be getting on with.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Don't forget you will have to buy a "vignette" Swiss road toll, as you cross the border into Switzerland.
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

We stayed in Tremezzo* (on Como) as part of out honeymoon.
                It's opposite Bellagio, which is well worth a visit (you can get the ferry across from the next town) but I wouldn't stay there.
                It's also next to Mezzegra, where you can visit the spot where Mussolini was shot.
                You can pretend to be James Bond driving through the tunnels on the way, which is a bonus. You probably won't bump into George Clooney, even though he has a place nearby, and every local you meet claims to be a close personal friend!

*Grand Hotel Tremezzo: luxury 5 star hotel on Lake Como, Italy
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Stopped somewhere on Lake Como when we drove to Venice via France, Switzerland and Austria when I was about 7. Don't remember much about Como itself but went up the Grossglockner pass on the way there which was pretty impressive. Not as impressive as the car that got us there and back though. A 1969 Fiat 124 1200 cc with 4 of us plus an old canvas frame tent and the kitchen sink on the roof rack. They don't make 'em like that anymore...

Comment

Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni is the place on Como. Dine at La Punta right on the headland for possibly one of the best dining views in the world and you have to try the Missoltini, a speciality of the area. Yes expensive, but worth every penny. Early May is good for the gardens. Not much else apart from a few lake towns to see nearby (They are invariably all nice and pleasant).

Stayed around Garda a few times, lots to do. Best to stay at the southern end, Densenzano is nice, bit touristy but has a ferry port to access the rest of the lake (seriously study the timetable though, as quite easy to end up stranded at the wrong end of the lake. Also handy for Verona, an incredibly beautiful city even by Italian standards. Eat at Ristorante al Pompiere | Trattoria storica e di classe a Verona, cucina tradizionale if in Verona (Booking is almost essential, or was when I went). They have an outstanding selection of cold cuts, almost like a wine list. In the 20 years of travelling to Italy this was the best all round meal I have had. Around this area white wine = Lugana red = Valpolicella go for Ripasso, amarone is over priced in my opinion.
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Agreed on Verona. I have travelled around northern Italy extensively. Verona and Parma were both within reach of the lakes. Two sensational small cities (vegetarians need not apply). [emoji13]

Quick exit...
                      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
                      X