• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boom... How do you give your notice?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boom... How do you give your notice?

On Friday I got the offer of a new contract. Absolutely thrilled.

Am currently under contract until September, and have recently renewed, but very bizarrely I find myself in a role where there is no work. I am quite literally being paid to sit there on my hands for 8 hours a day, which has been utterly soul destroying. I can't stand misuse of the word "literally" but it really does apply here - no emails, no phonecalls, projects I am assigned to have been mothballed. As someone fairly new to contracting, I didn't have the warchest to be able to walk, so had to suck it up for the last few months.

The weird thing is, even though I haven't been asked to do any work, I think they might be a little hurt that I am giving notice. They're nice people, and I'm grateful they honoured the contract, even after a takeover, so I don't want to upset them.

My plan is to be honest and up front, but question is - how do you give notice as a contractor? Do you talk to the client first before following up in writing, or would you simply send an email and wait for them to pull you aside for a chat? Should I inform the agent first? I informed them of the situation, and asked them to search the market for me, but predictably didn't come up with anything. New contract is via a different agent.

I have a notice period of a month, but new gig want me to start in 2 weeks, so looking to engineer a quick exit if possible.
    Last edited by fiisch; 12 May 2019, 21:30.

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
    I have a notice period of a month, but new gig want me to start in 2 weeks, so looking to engineer a quick exit if possible.
    Leave the moment your timesheet is signed and any money owing is in the bank
    Get the missus to ring in each day saying you are sick for the remainder of any notice period

HTH

Comment

Talk to your current client. They might well be glad to let you go, as I'm sure they're aware they're paying you for doing nothing.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Talk to your current client. They might well be glad to let you go, as I'm sure they're aware they're paying you for doing nothing.
        This ^^^^^^

once current client realises you are doing them a favour, then tell them you want to cease immediately (other than a day or two to handover equipment, knowledge and say goodbye.

Separately, and after the client discussion, email the agent saying that you're providing notice as per clause blah.blah.
        Don't tell the agent you're not going in for the full month. Just don't go in.
        If you're on monthly billing you may need to consider other discussions with the agent , but if weekly you'll be paid before they know you're no longer on site.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Benny View Post
          Leave the moment your timesheet is signed and any money owing is in the bank
          Get the missus to ring in each day saying you are sick for the remainder of any notice period

HTH
          +1

Comment

Thanks all. Not looking forward to this - hate giving notice. Should be good at it by now, given the practice I've had.

Annoyingly I'm on a month's billing - invoice due to be paid next Tuesday (21st), but worked 5 (today is 6th) days of this month, which is not due to be invoiced until end of the month and then paid about 3 weeks later.

Comment

- inform the client face to face rather than by email.

- if possible, give a more positive reason for going. Eg your new gig is nearer home, or you just need a change. Slightly better than saying you are bored. Don't lie though.

Comment

Get a sub in and cream a bit of their rate.....
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Get a sub in and cream a bit of their rate.....
                  Are you offering? I can't offer a decent rate, but I'll bring you a Tesco's Meal Deal daily.

Comment

Well, that was as awkward as expected. They seemed quite shocked, which is bizarre.

Have a great rapport with the agent, and they're happy for me to go whenever - they said I was a trooper for going this long!

Apparently the company is reluctant to cut-short notices, but "will let me know". I've agreed the other contract regardless, but I think they'll relent as I am not assigned to any live project, so am twiddling my thumbs counting the days...

Comment

Working...
                    X