• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Escaped - Just in the nick of time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Escaped - Just in the nick of time

This is a bit of a follow-up to this thread:

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...-violated.html

In response to the threats I moved to another gig in Feb.

I had lunch yesterday with one of the devs still there and he recounted tales of mass redundancies, London office closure, all contractors gone and lots of arguing over tech. He's just got another offer elsewhere.

To be honest, it's been a surreal 18 months:

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...75-boomed.html

Yet somehow I've managed to jump ship just in time, it's a contractors life!

Knowing when to jump is key - nice one on getting out!

Comment

I recall working somewhere where the lady project manager who sat opposite me [perm] had a mental breakdown because they told her she "might" be made redundant. Contracting makes you take a much healthier attitude to work and how much they mean to you.

The young chap I had lunch with said he wanted a job where he felt he could immerse himself and feel like he was achieving something. I warned him that this was not a healthy attitude, do your best but don't let your work define you - it can all be gone in a flash in IT.

Comment

I work for money - nothing else

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
          I recall working somewhere where the lady project manager who sat opposite me [perm] had a mental breakdown because they told her she "might" be made redundant. Contracting makes you take a much healthier attitude to work and how much they mean to you.

The young chap I had lunch with said he wanted a job where he felt he could immerse himself and feel like he was achieving something. I warned him that this was not a healthy attitude, do your best but don't let your work define you - it can all be gone in a flash in IT.
          There's one other contractor where I work. She's new to it and has no clue how it works. Today she freaked out in the office in the direction of permie colleagues because she hadn't been paid on time, because timesheet hadn't been signed on time. Didn't know how she was going to pay the bills this month, completely outrageous etc. She left early for the day with a bad headache and then was back 10 minutes later feeling better.

Obviously I just kept my head down and continued posting on CUK like a proper contractor.

Comment

Working...
          X