• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: Mor On is in trouble

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    People who like freedom of speech (like myself) should be defending countries that support freedom of speech, rather than hostile fascist regimes like Russia where there is no freedom of speech (people go to jail there for wrong retweet and like).
    'should be' you say? Do you agree with the concept of free speech or would you like to see people going to jail for retweeting something over here?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
      'should be' you say? Do you agree with the concept of free speech or would you like to see people going to jail for retweeting something over here?
      It does rather depend what it is. Threats and incitements can be criminal offences. Free speech is not absolute. Once we agree that, we are just arguing about where the line is drawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        It does rather depend what it is. Threats and incitements can be criminal offences. Free speech is not absolute. Once we agree that, we are just arguing about where the line is drawn.
        One would like to say anything that someone else finds offensive should not be allowed.

But I am still traumatised by that time you asked me what I had for breakfast!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          One would like to say anything that someone else finds offensive should not be allowed.

Churchy's diseased cock? I'm not surprised you wanted to forget it.

Comment

Churchy's diseased cock? I'm not surprised you wanted to forget it.
            You're a jealous bitch.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

This is where it gets tricky - who's right to not get offended wins and who gets to decide that?

Although I think in this case we're not talking about offending people, this is about challenging the official narrative about current events and posting information that counters it.

IMO the line there should be drawn at if said information is verify-ably true or fake.

I remember after the Iraq WMD thing quite a few people said 'never again' to going to war on shoddy and fake information. The government and media lost a lot of credibility over the Iraq lies that have created a horrendous situation in the ME. Now they (and AtW) want to make it illegal to ask questions and discuss the other side of the story.

Surely the correct response for an honest government when trying to urgently fast track a decision to start a new war is to address the said 'fake news' and refute it - not make it illegal to bring it up?
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

This is where it gets tricky - who's right to not get offended wins and who gets to decide that?

Although I think in this case we're not talking about offending people, this is about challenging the official narrative about current events and posting information that counters it.

IMO the line there should be drawn at if said information is verify-ably true or fake.

I remember after the Iraq WMD thing quite a few people said 'never again' to going to war on shoddy and fake information. The government and media lost a lot of credibility over the Iraq lies that have created a horrendous situation in the ME. Now they (and AtW) want to make it illegal to ask questions and discuss the other side of the story.

Surely the correct response for an honest government when trying to urgently fast track a decision to start a new war is to address the said 'fake news' and refute it - not make it illegal to bring it up?
                Nobody is trying to make it illegal to ask questions.

As to publishing something verifiably false, why should that in itself be illegal? Do you want Alex Jones to be tried and convicted?

Comment

Nobody is trying to make it illegal to ask questions.

As to publishing something verifiably false, why should that in itself be illegal? Do you want Alex Jones to be tried and convicted?
                  I'm for people making up their own minds and people can publish what they like. Perfectly happy with things the way they are.

Comment

I'm for people making up their own minds and people can publish what they like. Perfectly happy with things the way they are.
                    As things are, it is illegal to publish certain things.

Comment

As things are, it is illegal to publish certain things.
                      I am aware of this. Do you mean 'hate speech' or 'fake news' though?
                      Last edited by Jog On; 20 May 2019, 15:22.

Comment

Working...
                      X