Boeing 737 Max: China's top airlines seek compensation Boeing 737 Max: China's top airlines seek compensation
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 23

More fingers than teeth

scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain

Default Boeing 737 Max: China's top airlines seek compensation

Boeing's VW moment with their troubled MCAS (Manoeuvring Characteristics Augmentation System) system. Or 'May Crash at Any Second', as I like to call it.

Boeing 737 Max: China's top airlines seek compensation

Tell me... would you fly on this aircraft after some software engineers told me the patched the problem? Hell no would be my answer. I don't know why anyone would take the risk.

China's three biggest airlines are demanding compensation from Boeing over its grounded 737 Max fleet.

Air China, China Southern and China Eastern have filed claims for payouts, according to state media reports.

China's regulator was the first to ground the fleet in the wake of two deadly crashes involving the US-made aircraft.

It comes on the eve of a meeting of global aviation regulators that will provide an update on the troubled jets.

The Chinese airlines are seeking compensation for losses incurred by the grounded fleet, as well as delayed deliveries of the 737 Max jets, according to reports.

China operates the largest fleet of Boeing 737 Max aircraft and was the first country to take the jets out of service after the Ethiopian Airlines 737 Max 8 crash in March.

The disaster killed all 157 people on board. In October, 189 people were killed in a Lion Air crash involving the same model.

Last week, Boeing said it had completed development of a software update for its 737 Max planes.

The planemaker's entire global fleet of 737 Max aircraft has been grounded since March and the firm is anxious to prove it is safe to return to the skies.

The move by China's top airlines to seek compensation comes ahead of a closely watched summit of aviation regulators in Texas on Thursday.

The US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is due to provide an update on reviews of Boeing's software fix and new pilot training.

The meeting in Texas will involve 57 agencies from 33 countries, including China, France, Germany and the UK, as well as the European Union Aviation Safety Agency.

But it is unclear if the planes will be back in the air before the end of the critical summer travel season.
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

My post count is Majestic

AtW is a fount of knowledge

Do you own Airbus shares?

More fingers than teeth

scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain

short and distort
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

Super poster

Scruff is NOT a disguised employee

If it's Boeing, I ain't going...

Quick exit...
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Banned

Big Blue Plymouth is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post

Tell me... would you fly on this aircraft after some software engineers told me the patched the problem? Hell no would be my answer. I don't know why anyone would take the risk.
    No. But then again, I never liked DC10s or MD11s either but didn't stop me back in the days when I was travelling o a shoestring.

I live on CUK

Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    No. But then again, I never liked DC10s or MD11s either but didn't stop me back in the days when I was travelling o a shoestring.
    That sounds painful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

Banned

Big Blue Plymouth is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    That sounds painful.
    It felt like it after an Air India curry

More fingers than teeth

greenlake has reached the peak. Play again?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    back in the days when I was travelling o a shoestring.
    Hmmmm....inneresting....

Quote Originally Posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    somebody such as me who has spent years travelling as an independent traveller on a shoestring

Ducklike

Platypus is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by greenlake View Post
    Hmmmm....inneresting....
    Good detecting!

Super poster

DoctorStrangelove is a fount of knowledge

Just found this little gem:

https://www.eetimes.com/author.asp?s...doc_id=1334999

It's a bitch when that bit flips.

And two computers?

Shirley you need 3 like the Shuttle had if you want to know which one is fecked.

Since then, the Federal Aviation Agency (FAA), which had ceded its inspection duties to Boeing employees, has discovered that besides the fatal flaw in MCAS, the 737 MAX’s non-redundant computer system is subject to possible interference by “cosmic rays striking the circuitry” at high altitudes.

This revelation, detailed in a thorough summary by Dominic Gates in the Seattle Times ("Newly stringent FAA tests spur a software redesign..."), surprised both Boeing and the FAA.

It was discovered only after the FAA was forced into a renewed regimen of close regulation by those horrific Lion Air and Ethiopian Airline crashes.

The software “glitch” discovered by FAA pilots running simulations was correctable manually, in the cockpit, within three seconds.

However, within three seconds, one of three simulations resulted in the airplane going down.

A 33-percent failure rate — which translates into the deaths of as many as 200 passengers — is appropriately deemed “catastrophic” by the FAA.

As a result, Boeing is not only working to double up its MCAS sensors, but to install on every 737 MAX two computers working simultaneously.

This will ensure that a potentially deadly bit-flip in one computer can be discerned and corrected by the other — in less than three seconds.
    Ooooops.
    When the fun stops, STOP.