• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Building survey

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building survey

Any recommendations for a building surveyor?

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
    Any recommendations for a building surveyor?
    Yes, get a good one at a good price.

HTH BIDI

Comment

1. What age is the property? If it’s old, expect them to find issues.

2. Are you looking for a basic one, or a detailed one? Detailed is better, but is more of an insurance cover for the surveyor

3. How nervous are you? If you’re buying an old house it will have issues. You have to decide how much you want the house compared to how nervous you are. Our house has no damp course. No foundations. No wall insulation. One of the chimneys has a lean of about 15deg. It’s roughly 200 years old and hasn’t fallen down yet.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I think it's a 1930s house. I expect to find issues but considering its the biggest purchase I'm going to make I'd like to know everything before purchasing

Comment

I think it's a 1930s house. I expect to find issues but considering its the biggest purchase I'm going to make I'd like to know everything before purchasing
          Look out for corroded wall ties

Comment

Make sure to bleed the radiators...

Comment

Kick it a few times and make sure it isn’t lying about its age, but you probably don’t want to know everything before purchasing. In other words, treat it like a Saturday night with nlady.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny View Post
                Look out for corroded wall ties
                There is a caveat to this.

Depending on the age of the property they won't find wall ties using a metal detector, our wall ties are made of slate! The surveyor appointed by the Halifax didn't take this into consideration and marked "Evidence of Wall Tie failure" on his report. We paid for our own surveyor's report and the chap was brilliant. Needless to say his report was accepted without qualms by the lender.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

A wedding ring (or a job lot of them if you're Brillo) is the biggest purchase you'll ever make.

As for knowing everything about the house, that can be dangerous. What you really should want to know is the important stuff - are cracks on internal plaster just cracks, or are they a reflection of external ones?
                  Are there any big trees nearby that could affect the foundations?
                  Is there damp in the corners of rooms?
                  Has the central heating been maintained?

How many imperfections can you live with?
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I may be biased but I would always go with a Chartered Surveyor becauseA) they have to prove they know what they are talking about, B) if there is a problem you have some recourse to a "higher level".
                    Not always the cheapest but as a house is likely to be your largest expenditure, is now the time to skimp?

Here is the link to search for a local Surveyor
                    Growing old is mandatory
                    Growing up is optional

Comment

Working...
                    X