• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Biggest Enabler of Large Scale tax Avoidance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    No-one objects to a prospective loan charge.
    Forget objections. The question is whether it is legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
      The lines between legal and moral do get a bit blurred when certain people (politicians) play the moral card. So we can just tell HMRC that we're acting inside the law and that's the end of the conversation? Splendid!

So does this mean that tax 'avoidance' is a term we can all just ignore as long as it's legal?
      The term has a meaning, but feel free to ignore it if you wish.

Comment

The lines between legal and moral do get a bit blurred when certain people (politicians) play the moral card. So we can just tell HMRC that we're acting inside the law and that's the end of the conversation? Splendid!

So does this mean that tax 'avoidance' is a term we can all just ignore as long as it's legal?
        It's a bit rich though when Mel Stride is under investigation for a conflict of interest!

Comment

UK by far the biggest enabler of global corporate tax dodging, groundbreaking research finds | The Independent

Who'd have thunk it?! Oh well there goes HMRC's moral high ground when going after us middle people...
          If you'd have taken a subscription out for Private Eye, you'd know they've been banging on about for years. It even has anti-EU jokes in it.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

It’s the kind of criminal activity that is sanctioned by the Govt - the objective is to increase tax collection in the UK that otherwise would not have happened here, where as when UK taxpayers (little people) try to scam the Outland Revenue then this is when the thumbs get broken

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              It’s the kind of criminal activity that is sanctioned by the Govt - the objective is to increase tax collection in the UK that otherwise would not have happened here, where as when UK taxpayers (little people) try to scam the Outland Revenue then this is when the thumbs get broken

HTH
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                The term has a meaning, but feel free to ignore it if you wish.
                The question is what does it mean - and who does it apply to?

I know this has been done to death but when these bits of news come out I find it helpful to remind myself of the selective nature of HMRC's priorities when it comes to tax collection.
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

The question is what does it mean - and who does it apply to?

I know this has been done to death but when these bits of news come out I find it helpful to remind myself of the selective nature of HMRC's priorities when it comes to tax collection.
                  HMRC selects targets it thinks it can win. Once you remove morality as a factor, then each side (tax avoider and HMRC) is looking to maximise their financial position within the law. So it's no good complaining that a loan charge is immoral. The question is, is it legal?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    It’s the kind of criminal activity that is sanctioned by the Govt -
                    Cryptocurrency can only dream of being this criminal, funding terror and misery around the world.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                      It's a bit rich though when Mel Stride is under investigation for a conflict of interest!
                      Linky?

I remember newspaper reports (which were sensationalist - his conflict of interest was declared), I don't remember him being under investigation.

Comment

Working...
                      X