UK Biggest Enabler of Large Scale tax Avoidance UK Biggest Enabler of Large Scale tax Avoidance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1

    Dirty spekulant

    Jog On - scorchio!

    Jog On's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Troll farm somewhere in Russia
    Posts
    7,855

    Default UK Biggest Enabler of Large Scale tax Avoidance

    UK by far the biggest enabler of global corporate tax dodging, groundbreaking research finds | The Independent

    Who'd have thunk it?! Oh well there goes HMRC's moral high ground when going after us middle people...
    Whatever...

  2. #2

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Yorkie62 is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Omnipresent
    Posts
    1,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jog On View Post
    UK by far the biggest enabler of global corporate tax dodging, groundbreaking research finds | The Independent

    Who'd have thunk it?! Oh well there goes HMRC's moral high ground when going after us middle people...
    And you think this will be news to HMRC or that they will GAS.

  3. #3

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    22,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jog On View Post
    UK by far the biggest enabler of global corporate tax dodging, groundbreaking research finds | The Independent

    Who'd have thunk it?! Oh well there goes HMRC's moral high ground when going after us middle people...
    To use the tax avoider's justification, it doesn't matter if HMRC is acting morally, as long as it is acting within the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  4. #4

    Dirty spekulant

    Jog On - scorchio!

    Jog On's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Troll farm somewhere in Russia
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    To use the tax avoider's justification, it doesn't matter if HMRC is acting morally, as long as it is acting within the law.
    Which is exactly what we can say as well.
    Whatever...

  5. #5

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    22,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jog On View Post
    Which is exactly what we can say as well.
    Yes. That is indeed the argument. The trouble is when people find that parliament has introduced a Loan Charge. Perfectly within the law of course, and whether or not it is immoral is apparently irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  6. #6

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    104,637

    Default

    The amount dodged globally each year is more than three times the NHS budget or roughly equivalent to the entire Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of Belgium.

    A shame they could not have compared it to an impressive country.

  7. #7

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    104,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    Yes. That is indeed the argument. The trouble is when people find that parliament has introduced a Loan Charge. Perfectly within the law of course, and whether or not it is immoral is apparently irrelevant.
    No-one objects to a prospective loan charge.

  8. #8

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    104,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    And you think this will be news to HMRC or that they will GAS.
    HMRC does as the Treasury asks. They were told to "go easy" on big US companies.

  9. #9

    Dirty spekulant

    Jog On - scorchio!

    Jog On's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Troll farm somewhere in Russia
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    Yes. That is indeed the argument. The trouble is when people find that parliament has introduced a Loan Charge. Perfectly within the law of course, and whether or not it is immoral is apparently irrelevant.
    The lines between legal and moral do get a bit blurred when certain people (politicians) play the moral card. So we can just tell HMRC that we're acting inside the law and that's the end of the conversation? Splendid!

    So does this mean that tax 'avoidance' is a term we can all just ignore as long as it's legal?
    Whatever...

  10. #10

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    104,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jog On View Post
    The lines between legal and moral do get a bit blurred when certain people (politicians) play the moral card. So we can just tell HMRC that we're acting inside the law and that's the end of the conversation? Splendid!
    Is the loan charge within the law?

    I guess the JR will decide.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •