• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ann Widdecombe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Bumming churchy every time you've had a few pints makes you at least bi.
    You are jealous.

Comment

Bumming churchy every time you've had a few pints makes you at least bi.
      It would appear that you're homophobic as well as anti-Semitic.
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        Sure. If there was a clamour for it from gay people. Funnily enough, the ones that are “just asking” whether science has a solution tend to be straight.
        Maybe you should educate yourself a little bit before bashing the 'lady'.

Self-loathing among gay people is nothing new. We’re overwhelmed by it
        Gay people are not the only ones to suffer such shame, but experts, both gay and straight, agree that gay kids are overwhelmed with it. Many of us grow up, come out and have wonderful and happy lives. For others, the journey can be rockier. Many bury their feelings, hoping they’ll go away, some psychologically “split”, like the heterosexually married men who believe anonymous internet hook-ups don’t count as gay if they happen in secret. Just this week I met a young man who told me he hated gay pride, hated effeminate men but crucially was trying to work through these feelings by talking about them. The gay community doesn’t talk about this enough, and when we do it’s often with judgment.
        For ages many people have said that gay people made a choice to be 'that way,' and they should just change. And for ages, many, many gay people have said they hate the way they are and don't want it and didn't choose it. And the gay pride movement has made a difference to how some gay people feel but certainly not all of them. There are still many who hate being gay and wish they weren't.

And I'm of the opinion that if someone wants to change, it would be a great thing if science could find a solution for them. And that is no different from what AW said this time, whatever she might or might not have said in the past.

But there are some people who freak at the very suggestion that it might be possible some day, as if that would be a horrible thing. Sorry, it wouldn't be a bad thing at all. It would be a great thing if people had the choice.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
          Maybe you should educate yourself a little bit before bashing the 'lady'.

Self-loathing among gay people is nothing new. We’re overwhelmed by it

For ages many people have said that gay people made a choice to be 'that way,' and they should just change. And for ages, many, many gay people have said they hate the way they are and don't want it and didn't choose it. And the gay pride movement has made a difference to how some gay people feel but certainly not all of them. There are still many who hate being gay and wish they weren't.

And I'm of the opinion that if someone wants to change, it would be a great thing if science could find a solution for them. And that is no different from what AW said this time, whatever she might or might not have said in the past.

But there are some people who freak at the very suggestion that it might be possible some day, as if that would be a horrible thing. Sorry, it wouldn't be a bad thing at all. It would be a great thing if people had the choice.
          Dark skinned people sometimes feel a sense of shame at their skin colour. Some use dangerous skin whitening products, but maybe science will find a way to make them 'properly white'.

Or maybe there is something about what makes people feel bad about who they are, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Comment

Ann Widdecombe one-woman show pulled after gay therapy remark | Politics | The Guardian

Comment

I bet the rightist snowflakes will be going mental that a businessman decided to cancel a contract.

Comment

There are still many who hate being gay and wish they weren't.

They generally wish they didn't feel ashamed and self-loathing. Because of the opinions of twunts like you, making them feel like something's wrong with them.

HTH, BISDI.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  They generally wish they didn't feel ashamed and self-loathing. Because of the opinions of twunts like you, making them feel like something's wrong with them.
                  Someone close to me is gay and wishes he wasn't. It has nothing to do with my opinion, he's wished he was different for as long as he can remember and long before he knew me.

It would be great if a solution could be found for him that would allow him to change what he wants to change, whether you think so or not.

I'm proud he trusted me enough to feel he could talk to me about the whole thing. He wouldn't have done that if I'd ever been the type to make him 'feel like something's wrong' with him. And you can drop dead.

Comment

Or maybe there is something about what makes people feel bad about who they are, but I can't quite put my finger on it.
                    Yes, there is something that makes people feel bad. The person I mentioned has told me of these:
                    1. Internal feelings of guilt.
                    2. Disappointment of parents who want grandchildren. Even when parents are supportive the gay person often knows they are disappointed.
                    3. Embarrassment about being different.
                    4. Fear of homophobic behaviour by others.
                    5. The wish to biologically produce children with someone they love.

Most of these are societal but it doesn't help the individual who is hurting to say it shouldn't be that way. It IS that way for him and he can't change it. Sure, with counseling he can maybe get past the guilt feelings, but nothing can take away #2 for him. His parents love him and have never said it but he knows they are disappointed.

And the homophobes are out there and some of them are violent, and no amount of legislation or sympathetic articles in the press is going to change that.

But the biggest thing for him is #5. His brother and sister are both proud and happy parents and he's glad but after visiting them he goes home and cries. And yes, he says he could sleep with a woman and probably father a child but he wouldn't love the mother and make a home with her for the child, so he can't have what his siblings have.

So spare me your sarcasm. I've given you a direct answer but I have little patience for this stuff. My comments here are because I actually care about an actual gay person rather than the current LGBTQ orthodoxy.

Comment

Yes, there is something that makes people feel bad. The person I mentioned has told me of these:
                      1. Internal feelings of guilt.
                      2. Disappointment of parents who want grandchildren. Even when parents are supportive the gay person often knows they are disappointed.
                      3. Embarrassment about being different.
                      4. Fear of homophobic behaviour by others.
                      5. The wish to biologically produce children with someone they love.

Most of these are societal but it doesn't help the individual who is hurting to say it shouldn't be that way. It IS that way for him and he can't change it. Sure, with counseling he can maybe get past the guilt feelings, but nothing can take away #2 for him. His parents love him and have never said it but he knows they are disappointed.

And the homophobes are out there and some of them are violent, and no amount of legislation or sympathetic articles in the press is going to change that.

But the biggest thing for him is #5. His brother and sister are both proud and happy parents and he's glad but after visiting them he goes home and cries. And yes, he says he could sleep with a woman and probably father a child but he wouldn't love the mother and make a home with her for the child, so he can't have what his siblings have.

So spare me your sarcasm. I've given you a direct answer but I have little patience for this stuff. My comments here are because I actually care about an actual gay person rather than the current LGBTQ orthodoxy.
                      So would it be good if science had a way of making black people white so they could avoid racism?

Comment

Working...
                      X