• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cretinous question of the year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Lest we forget why Churchill, Thatcher, etc wanted there to be long lasting peace in Europe.
    As Winston Churchill said:

We must build a kind of United States of Europe. In this way only will hundreds of millions of toilers be able to regain the simple joys and hopes which make life worth living.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Woah there.

Why are there remainers on this thread?

These people died so you would not be controlled by a central European government.

Something which you now freely admit you want.

Lest we forget? You already fooking have.
      You should be ashamed of your self. There were Remainers on the beaches. From today's Times
      A D-Day veteran said that it would be a “crying shame” if Britain left the European Union and said that he hoped that the peace that followed the Second World War would continue.

Eric Chardin, 94, said that he feared that Brexit could undo the peace of post-war Europe. Mr Chardin was in Portsmouth to mark the 75th anniversary of the day he landed on Gold Beach in Normandy aged 19.

“Brexit worries me,” Mr Chardin told the BBC. “I can’t help feeling that it would be an awful shame if what we’ve gone to so much trouble to do, to collect the European big nations together, to break it all up now would be a crying shame.”
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Amazing how the Trumpeters and NF fans seem to push for for the "anything that disagrees with me is Fake News", so the war against the Third reicht is now a war against the left, and that the Holocaust didn't happen and there's no lessons to be learned from it.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          You should be ashamed of your self. There were Remainers on the beaches. From today's Times
          Chardin sounds like a foreign name.

Comment

Woah there.

These people died so you would not be controlled by a central European government.

What an absolute piece of shit you are.
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              As Winston Churchill said:
              Where does he say that Britain should join? We already had the "Commonwealth of Nations".

Originally posted by Winston Churchill
              Great Britain, the British Commonwealth of Nations, mighty America - and, I trust, Soviet Russia, for then indeed all would be well - must be the friends and sponsors of the new Europe and must champion its right to live. Therefore I say to you “Let Europe arise!”.
              Just saying like.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                Where does he say that Britain should join? We already had the "Commonwealth of Nations".

Just saying like.
                Here you go:

In October 1948, at a Conservative Mass Meeting at Llandudno, Churchill made clear that Britain held a unique position at the heart of ‘three majestic circles’: the ‘Empire and Commonwealth’, ‘the English speaking world’ and a ‘United Europe’.

Churchill described these three circles as ‘co-existent’ and ‘linked together’. He said, ‘We are the only country which has a great part in every one of them. We stand, in fact, at the very point of junction, and here in this Island at the centre of the seaways and perhaps of the airways also, we have the opportunity of joining them all together.’

One year on, in August 1949, at the first meeting of the Council of Europe in Strasbourg, Churchill delivered his speech in French, and said:

‘We are reunited here, in this new Assembly, not as representatives of our several countries or various political parties, but as Europeans forging ahead, hand in hand, and if necessary elbow to elbow, to restore the former glories of Europe..

‘There is no reason for us not to succeed in achieving our goal and laying the foundation of a United Europe. A Europe whose moral design will win the respect and acknowledgement of all humanity, and whose physical strength will be such that no person will dare to disturb it as it marches peacefully towards the future.’

Later in November 1949, at a speech given for the European Movement at Kingsway Hall, London, Churchill said:

‘The British Government have rightly stated that they cannot commit this country to entering any European Union without the agreement of the other members of the British Commonwealth. We all agree with that statement. But no time must be lost in discussing the question with the Dominions and seeking to convince them that their interests as well as ours lie in a United Europe.’

Churchill added, `The French Foreign Minister, M. Schuman, declared in the French Parliament this week that, ‘Without Britain there can be no Europe.’ This is entirely true. But our friends on the Continent need have no misgivings. Britain is an integral part of Europe, and we mean to play our part in the revival of her prosperity and greatness.’

The following year, in 1950, Churchill called for the creation of a European Army ‘..under a unified command, and in which we should all bear a worthy and honourable part.’ (France objected to this plan).

Notice how in his speeches, Churchill said ‘we’ must build a United States of Europe; not ‘they’. He said ‘we’ aim at the eventual participation of the peoples of Europe; not ‘they’. He said ‘we’ must assemble and combine countries to join the Union of Europe; not ‘they’. He said ‘we’ should create a European army; not ‘they’ It’s surely beyond doubt that Churchill wanted the UK to take part in the unification of Europe.
                From: Winston Churchill: A founder of the European Union | EU ROPE

Comment

The world in 1949 was a very different place to the world today.

Today we have had a European Union for 45 years and it would appear it is not working out to be the utopia we were led to believe it would be.

I am happy to be part of a European Union - I am not happy about the European Parliament.

And if I cannot have 1 without the other I would prefer neither.

Comment

Woah there.

Wow that got me my first negative rep ever - must have struck a nerve I guess.

Comment

Here is his speech verbatim...

Winston Churchill, speech delivered at the University of Zurich, 19 September 1946

Would you care to show me where he advocates Great Britain becoming a member?
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X