• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cretinous question of the year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Wow that got me my first negative rep ever - must have struck a nerve I guess.

Appropriating the selfless actions of the D-Day veterans in order to score a cheap political point? Quite possibly. It's a pretty tulipty thing to do.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      You should be ashamed of your self. There were Remainers on the beaches. From today's Times
      Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Appropriating the selfless actions of the D-Day veterans in order to score a cheap political point? Quite possibly. It's a pretty tulipty thing to do.
      Indeed, a real bastards trick.
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        D Day was 6th June 1944.

So why are we celebrating it today?

Related cretinous question - What does the "D" in D-Day stand for?

I'm guessing it may be "Deliverance"

Or could it be A, B, and C days all went horribly wrong and the less said about them the better?!

edit: I did a quick search and answered my own question - "Departure"
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

As Maggie would say, its good to make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Related cretinous question - What does the "D" in D-Day stand for?

I'm guessing it may be "Deliverance"

Or could it be A, B, and C days all went horribly wrong and the less said about them the better?!

edit: I did a quick search and answered my own question - "Departure"
            The most common explanation is that it simply denotes Day. The military also have H-Hour. From Time magazine
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
              Here is his speech verbatim...

Winston Churchill, speech delivered at the University of Zurich, 19 September 1946

Would you care to show me where he advocates Great Britain becoming a member?
              Churchill made several speeches, you're quoting a different one.

October 1948, at a Conservative Mass Meeting at Llandudno,
              August 1949, at the first meeting of the Council of Europe in Strasbourg
              November 1949, at a speech given for the European Movement at Kingsway Hall, London
              1950, Churchill called for the creation of a European Army

...and yet the speech you quote is from 1946 in Zurich.
              In fact reading what you call "his speech verbatim" it doesn't contain the line
              Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail.
              Does that mean he never said "We shall fight them on the beaches", because it's not in a speech given in Switzerland?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Churchill made several speeches, you're quoting a different one.

October 1948, at a Conservative Mass Meeting at Llandudno,
                August 1949, at the first meeting of the Council of Europe in Strasbourg
                November 1949, at a speech given for the European Movement at Kingsway Hall, London
                1950, Churchill called for the creation of a European Army

...and yet the speech you quote is from 1946 in Zurich.
                In fact reading what you call "his speech verbatim" it doesn't contain the line

Does that mean he never said "We shall fight them on the beaches", because it's not in a speech given in Switzerland?
                I'll rephrase. Please show me a line in a speech made by Winston Churchill(1874-1965) where he states categorically that Great Britain should join "The United States of Europe" or its equivalent. He advocated that we help in its construction, alongside the USA and USSR but as far as I've found so far he did not advocate that we should be members.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                X