• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruiter Breach of Contract. Small Claims Court?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recruiter Breach of Contract. Small Claims Court?

Advice please; Recruiter broke contract agreement start date resulting in three-week income loss. Reason came down admin delay recruiter/client side, nevertheless no fault of mine.

Recruiter failed to amend anything, I resigned, started elsewhere, and threatened small claims court. Recruiter counter threatens with they are not liable attributed to my not taking action in first thirty days of the event and delays client side, will entitle them to delay contract start date, and they will financially punish should I take further action.

Fact is both recruiter and end client botched my onboarding, and as always the candidate is the one to suffer the losses. Do I have a case to reclaim from small claims court?

No

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Analyzer View Post
      Advice please; Recruiter broke contract agreement start date resulting in three-week income loss. Reason came down admin delay recruiter/client side, nevertheless no fault of mine.
      You can't lose something you didn't earn. They could have kept the date the same but told you not to come in as there isn't any work for you. Same outcome for you.
      Recruiter failed to amend anything, I resigned, started elsewhere, and threatened small claims court. Recruiter counter threatens with they are not liable attributed to my not taking action in first thirty days of the event and delays client side, will entitle them to delay contract start date, and they will financially punish should I take further action.

Fact is both recruiter and end client botched my onboarding, and as always the candidate is the one to suffer the losses. Do I have a case to reclaim from small claims court?
      No.

What is very key here is exactly when you signed the contract, what did it say, when did they tell you the start date wasn't achievable and so on. But either way no. You didn't work it so can't get paid for it so no loss.

What you could do is check your IPSE+ Business interruption cover. The agency moving the dates MIGHT be covered by that.. but I have a feeling not. That's a delay, not a fundamental breach of contract. Worth checking though.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Contract start delays can and do happen. What evidence do you have of the financial loss? Did you turn down other work to take this role that was a dead cert to happen?

If the contract started three weeks late, it could also end three weeks later than originally expected so there would be no loss but you chose to flounce and quit instead

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          No
          Yes.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Analyzer View Post

Quit contracting. Now.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Yes.
              Maybe.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                No
                Yes.
                Maybe.
                Time for a poll....?

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                  Time for a poll....?

Where's the AndyW option?

No poll is complete without one.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I would go to court as Snowflake ltd should not be incurring any losses.

Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Working...
                    X