• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Huwai the least of our problems?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    With over 7 billion to infect, sommat will come along sooner or later.

Hence the twitchiness over ebola, marberg, green monkey disease and lassa fever.
    New Ebola outbreak in DRC is 'truly frightening', says Wellcome Trust director - BBC News

Sadly this will not be enough to save the world from climate change. It needs ebola to go global and kill off 90% of people. Especially those house hogging elderly who are stopping the young from getting on the property ladder.

I do hope I am in the 90% of those to die.

Comment

Eyam is an interesting visit should you get the chance. Beware deliveries from London

Comment

All these threatened apocalypses are so boring compared to the movies, invasions of giant monsters or zombies look much more exciting.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
          Eyam is an interesting visit should you get the chance. Beware deliveries from London
          yes, especially fabrics. I did visit in 1969, but don't remember anything of it now.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Yeah course they are. Nothing to do with modern medicine at all.

Looking at how today's men handle a dose of the cold I'd conclude quite the opposite.
            "Yeah course they are. Nothing to do with modern medicine at all"

the last serious outbreak occurred some time ago and well before antibiotics were discovered. So those that survived that outbreak must have had some resistance to it, just like those prostitutes in Africa who seem to be immune to Aids and who are now being researched.

Comment

Or just good quarantine, see Eyam. They have it properly sorted now with one of those AV museums.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                Or just good quarantine, see Eyam. They have it properly sorted now with one of those AV museums.
                yes, Eyam successfully contained it by quarantining the villagers.

Comment

The last epidemic of plague in England? Suffolk 1906-1918.

Spanish flu made it look like an amateur.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                    The last epidemic of plague in England? Suffolk 1906-1918.

Spanish flu made it look like an amateur.
                    yes, which as I say, we don't need to fear bombs etc, the bugs are more likely to get us first.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                      yes, which as I say, we don't need to fear bombs etc, the bugs are more likely to get us first.
                      IIRC there's a sentence in "Earth Abides" to the effect that civilisation didn't end with a bang but with a whimper.

I didn't.

It's a 1925 poem by T. S. Eliot "The Hollow Men":

The Hollow Men - Wikipedia

Originally posted by T.S.Eliot
                      This is the way the world ends
                      Not with a bang but a whimper.
                      Rather before we invented the neutron in fact.

http://bamfordsworld.weebly.com/uplo...rth_abides.pdf
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 13 June 2019, 10:17.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X