• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deleting Profile

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    "I am currently finding certain parts of this forum crossing the very fine line that Whexists between banter and bullying"

I wholeheartedly agree. I used to post on these fora many years ago, and eventually gave up because I couldn't get my point of view across because of verbal abuse. Nothing seems to have changed, despite the fact that recent events have justified my opinion.

When individuals resort to verbal abuse, then they are losing the argument.

What was that famous saying? "I don't agree with what you say, but I'll defend your right to say it"

These days if you hold a minority opinion on any issue, the majority deride you. Sometimes, as I have proven to my satisfaction, the minority opinion proves to be correct. So for all those critics in the majority, time will tell if the minority opinion is valid.
    Why don't you bold the sentence in the quote that you are referring to rather than repeating it? Or is your method they way it's done when responding in court?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Can you provide evidence or sound logical reasoning for this?

Sometimes people resort to verbal abuse because they have won the argument, and the other person is continuing to be a dull cretin, so you may as well have some fun at their expense.

So you would defend my right to verbally 'bully' you?
      "Can you provide evidence or sound logical reasoning for this?"

I would consider that I won the recent debate about the use of the term Eire for the ROI and anyway, this is an opinion.

"Sometimes people resort to verbal abuse because they have won the argument, and the other person is continuing to be a dull cretin, so you may as well have some fun at their expense"

It may be the case that the "dull cretin" has more information than the individual claiming victory, but keeps their countenance.

"So you would defend my right to verbally 'bully' you?"

no one has the right to bully anyone else either physically or verbally. You can differ on opinion. But remember opinion can be based on insufficient knowledge or experience of an issue and with exposure to that additional knowledge, opinion can change.

a non political example

someone might claim that all MGB's (except the V8 and the MGC" were fitted with the same 1800cc engine. They'd be wrong as there were at least four different 1800cc engines used in the lifespan of the MGB

Comment

I would consider that I won the recent debate about the use of the term Eire for the ROI and anyway, this is an opinion.

Nobody wins on here mate, we are all losing our time

HTH

Comment

"Can you provide evidence or sound logical reasoning for this?"

"Sometimes people resort to verbal abuse because they have won the argument, and the other person is continuing to be a dull cretin, so you may as well have some fun at their expense"

It may be the case that the "dull cretin" has more information than the individual claiming victory, but keeps their countenance.

"So you would defend my right to verbally 'bully' you?"

no one has the right to bully anyone else either physically or verbally. You can differ on opinion. But remember opinion can be based on insufficient knowledge or experience of an issue and with exposure to that additional knowledge, opinion can change.

a non political example

someone might claim that all MGB's (except the V8 and the MGC" were fitted with the same 1800cc engine. They'd be wrong as there were at least four different 1800cc engines used in the lifespan of the MGB
          You lost the argument about Éire and RoI, as you failed to recognise that Éire is no more or less the Irish language word for Ireland, so using it to be a more precise term than Ireland is incorrect.

Re verbal bullying, this is odd. Just now you were suggesting you would defend the right of someone to say something you don't agree with. Now you are saying the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

HTH
            JTC has a weird view of winning.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...tle-bus-6.html

Comment

This is the guy that lost in court, twice and still considers it a win. I'd hate to see what he considers a loss.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                This is the guy that lost in court, twice and still considers it a win. I'd hate to see what he considers a loss.
                His wasted life?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

HTH
                  The squirrel p;opulation of Birmingham are relieved though....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    The squirrel p;opulation of Birmingham are relieved though....
                    Are you saying he is a pied Piper figure, luring them with tales of Netflix and chill on a cheap sofa, to become organ donners at the kebab shop downstairs?

Comment

Are you saying he is a pied Piper figure, luring them with tales of Netflix and chill on a cheap sofa, to become organ donners at the kebab shop downstairs?
                      Only when he is not posting on CUK.

The last squirrel who went to the papers died when a car crushed it into a wall.

Comment

Working...
                      X