Deleting Profile Deleting Profile - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 31 to 40 of 64
  1. #31

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk is always on top

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    39,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohntheBike View Post
    "I am currently finding certain parts of this forum crossing the very fine line that Whexists between banter and bullying"

    I wholeheartedly agree. I used to post on these fora many years ago, and eventually gave up because I couldn't get my point of view across because of verbal abuse. Nothing seems to have changed, despite the fact that recent events have justified my opinion.

    When individuals resort to verbal abuse, then they are losing the argument.

    What was that famous saying? "I don't agree with what you say, but I'll defend your right to say it"

    These days if you hold a minority opinion on any issue, the majority deride you. Sometimes, as I have proven to my satisfaction, the minority opinion proves to be correct. So for all those critics in the majority, time will tell if the minority opinion is valid.
    Why don't you bold the sentence in the quote that you are referring to rather than repeating it? Or is your method they way it's done when responding in court?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  2. #32

    Fingers like lightning

    JohntheBike 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    Can you provide evidence or sound logical reasoning for this?

    Sometimes people resort to verbal abuse because they have won the argument, and the other person is continuing to be a dull cretin, so you may as well have some fun at their expense.



    So you would defend my right to verbally 'bully' you?
    "Can you provide evidence or sound logical reasoning for this?"

    I would consider that I won the recent debate about the use of the term Eire for the ROI and anyway, this is an opinion.

    "Sometimes people resort to verbal abuse because they have won the argument, and the other person is continuing to be a dull cretin, so you may as well have some fun at their expense"

    It may be the case that the "dull cretin" has more information than the individual claiming victory, but keeps their countenance.

    "So you would defend my right to verbally 'bully' you?"

    no one has the right to bully anyone else either physically or verbally. You can differ on opinion. But remember opinion can be based on insufficient knowledge or experience of an issue and with exposure to that additional knowledge, opinion can change.

    a non political example

    someone might claim that all MGB's (except the V8 and the MGC" were fitted with the same 1800cc engine. They'd be wrong as there were at least four different 1800cc engines used in the lifespan of the MGB

  3. #33

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW is a fount of knowledge

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    50,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohntheBike View Post
    I would consider that I won the recent debate about the use of the term Eire for the ROI and anyway, this is an opinion.


    Nobody wins on here mate, we are all losing our time

    HTH

  4. #34

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    21,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohntheBike View Post
    "Can you provide evidence or sound logical reasoning for this?"

    I would consider that I won the recent debate about the use of the term Eire for the ROI and anyway, this is an opinion.

    "Sometimes people resort to verbal abuse because they have won the argument, and the other person is continuing to be a dull cretin, so you may as well have some fun at their expense"

    It may be the case that the "dull cretin" has more information than the individual claiming victory, but keeps their countenance.

    "So you would defend my right to verbally 'bully' you?"

    no one has the right to bully anyone else either physically or verbally. You can differ on opinion. But remember opinion can be based on insufficient knowledge or experience of an issue and with exposure to that additional knowledge, opinion can change.

    a non political example

    someone might claim that all MGB's (except the V8 and the MGC" were fitted with the same 1800cc engine. They'd be wrong as there were at least four different 1800cc engines used in the lifespan of the MGB
    You lost the argument about √Čire and RoI, as you failed to recognise that √Čire is no more or less the Irish language word for Ireland, so using it to be a more precise term than Ireland is incorrect.

    Re verbal bullying, this is odd. Just now you were suggesting you would defend the right of someone to say something you don't agree with. Now you are saying the opposite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  5. #35

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    21,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post


    Nobody wins on here mate, we are all losing our time

    HTH
    JTC has a weird view of winning.

    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...tle-bus-6.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  6. #36

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk is always on top

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    39,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    This is the guy that lost in court, twice and still considers it a win. I'd hate to see what he considers a loss.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  7. #37

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    21,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    This is the guy that lost in court, twice and still considers it a win. I'd hate to see what he considers a loss.
    His wasted life?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  8. #38

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    101,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post


    Nobody wins on here mate, we are all losing our time

    HTH
    The squirrel p;opulation of Birmingham are relieved though....

  9. #39

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    21,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    The squirrel p;opulation of Birmingham are relieved though....
    Are you saying he is a pied Piper figure, luring them with tales of Netflix and chill on a cheap sofa, to become organ donners at the kebab shop downstairs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  10. #40

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    101,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    Are you saying he is a pied Piper figure, luring them with tales of Netflix and chill on a cheap sofa, to become organ donners at the kebab shop downstairs?
    Only when he is not posting on CUK.

    The last squirrel who went to the papers died when a car crushed it into a wall.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •