• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Grass them in to HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grass them in to HMRC

How the Chief People Officer for the Civil Service suggested departments could try and stop the mass exodus from the public sector

Dave Chaplin on LinkedIn: "IR35 / OFF-PAYROLL: How the Chief People Officer for the Civil Service suggested departments could try and stop the mass exodus from the public sector.

In a nutshell.... he suggested they shop the contractor to HMRC as a way to retain them.

This tactic didn't work. People left anyway. Still.... nice to see the Civil Service Human Resources department using thinly veiled threats to retain self-employed workers.

All in the name of fairness etc. "

wow just wow

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

"Chief People Officer"? That doesn't sound remotely sinister...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      'Mordac'. Noted.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief People Officer View Post
        'Mordac'. Noted.
        When the time comes, you'll find me kipping on one of AtW's sofas, Flat 3, above Squirrel Kebabs, Birmingham.
        I'll put up a hell of a fight, so bring the riot gear and plenty of armed backup.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

You'll never take me alive, copper.

On top of the world, Ma, on top of the world.

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 13 June 2019, 20:06.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            where is Catbert when you need him?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

This points to the fundamental problem.

There is at heart within the public sector a severe resentment towards the very existence of the private sector. It wasn't that long ago there were senior people within HMRC who were floating the idea of all income going to HMRC and for them to then return whatever they felt was due to the citizenry after tax. Essentially a very Soviet idea of how society should be run.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                This points to the fundamental problem.

There is at heart within the public sector a severe resentment towards the very existence of the private sector. It wasn't that long ago there were senior people within HMRC who were floating the idea of all income going to HMRC and for them to then return whatever they felt was due to the citizenry after tax. Essentially a very Soviet idea of how society should be run.
                That's pretty Orwellian! Where did you read about that?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  That's pretty Orwellian! Where did you read about that?
                  It was some time during the Brown administration, after the financial crisis. I think I saved the documents somewhere but it would take me hours to find it again after all this time, sorry. I even seriously thought about emigrating at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                    It was some time during the Brown administration, after the financial crisis. I think I saved the documents somewhere but it would take me hours to find it again after all this time, sorry. I even seriously thought about emigrating at the time.
                    I see.

Comment

Working...
                    X