• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

High blood pressure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High blood pressure

Just been diagnosed with stage 2 hypertension (at the beginning of the year I was normal. Not sure what's happened - my life style hasn't changed). But my family have a history of high blood pressure). For the past few days I've been taking ramipril 2.5mg (an ACE inhibitor). Anyone else been through it? Do the sleepy side effects go away?

At least now I'm actually using the gym membership I have for more than the sauna and pool!
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Just been diagnosed with stage 2 hypertension (at the beginning of the year I was normal. Not sure what's happened - my life style hasn't changed). But my family have a history of high blood pressure). For the past few days I've been taking ramipril 2.5mg (an ACE inhibitor). Anyone else been through it? Do the sleepy side effects go away?

At least now I'm actually using the gym membership I have for more than the sauna and pool!
    Take it easy NAT and hope you start to feel better soon
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      Take it easy NAT and hope you start to feel better soon
      Yup, glad they caught it!

Comment

Drink your way through it.

Comment

Not sure what's happened - my life style hasn't changed
          Excessive use of the banhammer, perhaps....?

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
            Excessive use of the banhammer, perhaps....?

Scotspine never got high blood pressure.

Comment

I was diagnosed with HT at the same time as sleep apnea. I didn’t get any drowsy effects from HT medication, but the consultant was amazed I could even function given how knackered I was.

Let the meds do their thing for a month and see what’s what. If you snore then ask for a referral to the sleep clinic. It’s very common and very poorly diagnosed.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Commiserations, but better they spot it now

I've been on Ramipril since my first heart attack, apart from a few days when I was in hospital with my second heart attack, after I pointed out that they were saying that my blood pressure was unexpectedly low but still giving me a drug to lower it

I remember it causing some drowsiness when I first started on it, but that went away within a couple of weeks or maybe a month as I recall.

Wikipedia is very good for drug info these days (even if only links to other sources of info) and mentions that it can cause fatigue "especially in the early stages": Ramipril - Wikipedia

On the other hand, the NHS reckon that tiredness in conjunction with a number of other symptoms should be taken to the doctor, so watch out for that.

I'm now on 1.25mg, having been on 2.5mg for the first year or so. I can't remember why they reduced it, but it might be worth checking with your doctor if it's worth reducing the dose and seeing if that fixes the sleepiness while still controlling the blood pressure, if it doesn't go away on its own. I believe 2.5mg is their default starting dose, but I think they tend not to cut it down unless you bring it up.
                Last edited by NickFitz; 17 June 2019, 19:33.

Comment

Frau D. also takes Rampiril for high blood pressure and quite often has a little afternoon nap although I was more worried about the tablets:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Maybe it's CUK related. Have you thought of deleting your account here?

Comment

Working...
                    X