• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

High blood pressure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
    Welcome to the club. I have take a combination of Ramipril and amlodipine for last 2 years. BMI could be a few percent lower but I can run over 5k none stop and cycle over 120km each week with a heart rate in the low 50s. So go figure..
    Why is anti-high blood pressure associated with exercise?

As contractors we're prone to stress, burnout. Bouts of High blood pressure can be typical. Often exercise in this case is far from helpful.

Rest can out-trump exercise as a remedy to HBP, but that really depends on your physical / lifestyle choices beforehand.

Am I the only one here without high blood pressure? Must be the mountain air and stable government.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Why is anti-high blood pressure associated with exercise?

As contractors we're prone to stress, burnout. Bouts of High blood pressure can be typical. Often exercise in this case is far from helpful.

Rest can out-trump exercise as a remedy to HBP, but that really depends on your physical / lifestyle choices beforehand.
      Exercise can help you maintain a lower weight with the right diet. It’s also good for your mental well being.

But I agree stress etc trumps exercise any day of the week.

Comment

Am I the only one here without high blood pressure?
        I'll be 53 later this month, and I don't take any prescription meds at all.
        All I take regularly are fibre supplements.

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
          fibre supplements.
          I do like my brussel sprouts & broccoli. My youngest at 5 years is a little strange, she'll eat a whole boil of boiled broccoli and sprouts like it was a pick n mix.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

What's happening in your life?
            I think it was the stress of turning 50. Otherwise there's little stress in my life. I'm off to Cluj this afternoon to conduct a training course which should be fun.

I don't have sleep apnea - that was checked. Apart from the bp, and being overweight I'm fairly fit and healthy. It's genetic I'm sure. Glad to know the sleepiness goes away, and the cough. i do have a bp monitor machine - I'm seeing my doc again in 3 months, and he wants me to record the levels daily.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Exercise helps lower weight which is linked to HBP but also helps lower stress levels, which is also linked to HBP, as it releases endorphins; a hormone that lowers stress. If people have a tendency to over eat when stressed the same hormone is released. Concentration wise it could have been another cause but the supplements helped.

Also make time for your self to releax as others have said it's just as important as trying to do some exercise.
              Last edited by BlueSharp; 18 June 2019, 06:07.
              Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Just been diagnosed with stage 2 hypertension (at the beginning of the year I was normal. Not sure what's happened - my life style hasn't changed). But my family have a history of high blood pressure). For the past few days I've been taking ramipril 2.5mg (an ACE inhibitor). Anyone else been through it? Do the sleepy side effects go away?

At least now I'm actually using the gym membership I have for more than the sauna and pool!
                Oh dear, 'ow sad. Never mind.
                Last edited by Zigenare; 18 June 2019, 06:37.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Just been diagnosed with stage 2 hypertension (at the beginning of the year I was normal. Not sure what's happened - my life style hasn't changed). But my family have a history of high blood pressure). For the past few days I've been taking ramipril 2.5mg (an ACE inhibitor). Anyone else been through it? Do the sleepy side effects go away?

At least now I'm actually using the gym membership I have for more than the sauna and pool!

If you are just on Ramipril, you are lucky and you are just at the early stage of HT.
                  HT has a number of causes and it could be one or more.
                  At worse, HT could be the symptom of something nasty, therefore, keep an eye on everything with regular full check-ups such as blood tests and scans. My mum was suddenly diagnosed with HT and the doctor prescribed pills, the GP f***ed up. The actual cause was acute melanoid leukaemia and she died six months later.
                  As you get older, the mere fact that blood vessels harden or you put on weight will increase HT.
                  Buy a blood pressure monitor a check your PB ( but not fanatically). Take regular exercise, even walking helps.
                  My HT was originally caused by diabetes but the PB shot up when I had prostate issues. I am on cancer watch with twice yearly tests (sometimes nasty tests). I am on three types of HT medication but sometimes the BP will shoot up to 185/110. Relaxing will normally bring it down. Red wine does miracles for my HT and other issues, so try a glass a day with your evening meal.
                  Defiantly get a full set of blood tests (including PSA) at least once a year.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    If you are just on Ramipril, you are lucky and you are just at the early stage of HT.
                    HT has a number of causes and it could be one or more.
                    At worse, HT could be the symptom of something nasty, therefore, keep an eye on everything with regular full check-ups such as blood tests and scans. My mum was suddenly diagnosed with HT and the doctor prescribed pills, the GP f***ed up. The actual cause was acute melanoid leukaemia and she died six months later.
                    As you get older, the mere fact that blood vessels harden or you put on weight will increase HT.
                    Buy a blood pressure monitor a check your PB ( but not fanatically). Take regular exercise, even walking helps.
                    My HT was originally caused by diabetes but the PB shot up when I had prostate issues. I am on cancer watch with twice yearly tests (sometimes nasty tests). I am on three types of HT medication but sometimes the BP will shoot up to 185/110. Relaxing will normally bring it down. Red wine does miracles for my HT and other issues, so try a glass a day with your evening meal.
                    Defiantly get a full set of blood tests (including PSA) at least once a year.
                    Interesting, thank you.

Comment

[QUOTE=NotAllThere;2655530]Just been diagnosed with stage 2 hypertension (at the beginning of the year I was normal. Not sure what's happened - my life style hasn't changed). But my family have a history of high blood pressure). For the past few days I've been taking ramipril 2.5mg (an ACE inhibitor). Anyone else been through it? Do the sleepy side effects go away?

At least now I'm actually using the gym membership I have for more than the sauna and pool![/QUOTE

I've had hypertension for the last 38 years and have been put on a variety of medication. Two of my daughters are also taking tablets, so I guess the condition is hereditary. I started off on trasicor, but production of this became erratic, so I've been put on other forms of medication in the past few years. I didn't notice any symptoms of taking trasicor. The @prils are notorious for creating a cough as a side affect, and amlodipine causes swelling of the legs. I've been taking candesartan now for a few years and I can't say I notice any side affects. However, I too get drowsy in the afternoon, but only in my recent advancing years, and especially when surfing these fora. I also take a 75mg dispersable aspirin each day, which thins the blood and helps to reduce high blood pressure.

Comment

Working...
                      X