• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

High blood pressure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be off to the Dr in a couple of weeks to get mine checked.
    This current project has kept mine elevated, also I can't get it checked during the 6 Nations for similar reasons.

On our home Omron meter, it's about 150/100
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      This current project has kept mine elevated, also I can't get it checked during the 6 Nations for similar reasons.

the lower value is dangerous, go immediately to the doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Just been diagnosed with stage 2 hypertension !
        Thats pants, hope the meds get you sorted out soon

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        Bloody hell, seems like most of us have high blood pressure on cuk.
        Well just to be the odd one out - I'm the other end of the range, but the chemo is normalising that at least!
        Growing old is mandatory
        Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
          the lower value is dangerous, go immediately to the doctor.

Are you medically qualified?
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

You don't need to go "immediately" to the doctor but you do need to get it sorted in good order - the lower number is the one that will do you in and 100 is highish.

I'm not medically qualified either but know a bit about blood pressure.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

my opinion is based on what several doctors have told me in the past about the levels that are acceptable and dangerous. The top figure should be no more than 100 + your age, but ideally about 140 and the bottom figure should be about 80. Any lower figure over 90 is cause for concern and should initiate a visit to tour doctor. Anything 100 and over is likely to be dangerous and could result in a stroke. So, for once, take my advice in the manner in which it is given.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                You don't need to go "immediately" to the doctor but you do need to get it sorted in good order - the lower number is the one that will do you in and 100 is highish.

I'm not medically qualified either but know a bit about blood pressure.
                Agree with that. I think the “go immediately to your doctor” level for diastolic is 120 IIRC, but 100 is very high. That said, self-measurements can be significantly wrong. Also not medically qualified.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  Agree with that. I think the “go immediately to your doctor” level for diastolic is 120 IIRC, but 100 is very high. That said, self-measurements can be significantly wrong. Also not medically qualified.
                  yes, some machines tend to read high. I calibrate mine based on my most recent medical values.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                    yes, some machines tend to read high. I calibrate mine based on my most recent medical values.
                    They do indeed. In my experience electronic BP machines always tend to read high on the first go, especially if they've not been used in a while. I generally ignore the first reading and only use the second and subsequent.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Take a couple of readings if you get a high one like this, a quick walk, coffee or a stressful situation will cause the BP to spike, the measurement is your resting heart rate. As others have mentioned if you have taken the medication for a couple of weeks and your BP is still stage 2 then the medication are not getting the BP to a normal pressure. A quick chat with NHS direct or the doctors should give you a better opinion then some bloke off the internet as there may be other factors that the doctor knows about that we don't.
                      Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Working...
                      X