• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

High blood pressure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Sugar sugar sugar,
    Nice tune that..

Comment

In the UK at the minute.... for almost ten days already. Sugar sugar sugar, it's on everything. Even the bread is loaded with the stuff. Forgot how foods here are so sweet.
      Don't visit the US then, the land of cheap calories and sweetness

Comment

Why is anti-high blood pressure associated with exercise?

As contractors we're prone to stress, burnout. Bouts of High blood pressure can be typical. Often exercise in this case is far from helpful.

Rest can out-trump exercise as a remedy to HBP, but that really depends on your physical / lifestyle choices beforehand.

Am I the only one here without high blood pressure? Must be the mountain air and stable government.
        No high blood pressure here, despite being in a very stressful private life (wife is very ill, has a chronic illness that we fear may be moving to end of life stage). No history of HBP in family so maybe hereditary issues are also a key.

I do a lot of exercise, cardio at least 8 hours a week (mostly cycling) and lots of physical lifting (mostly the wife as she has little to no mobility anymore) so fitness may well play a key in HBP.

I don't let work get me down - life's too short and precious to get hung up by work (or idiot strangers on internet forums ).

For all those who are ill though, look after yourselves for you and your family.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
          They do indeed. In my experience electronic BP machines always tend to read high on the first go, especially if they've not been used in a while. I generally ignore the first reading and only use the second and subsequent.
          You shouldn't do two readings on the same arm within about 10 minutes.

So, sit down, relax have your arm resting on a pillow and take the first reading.
          Then swap the cuff to your other arm and try again.

Wrist sphygs are frowned upon as they can be very inaccurate, but there are many arm models available that are clinically certified:
          Blood Pressure : How to choose the right blood pressure monitor

Aneroid sphygs are the best, provided you have a proper one and know how to use it.

And if all else fails, marry someone who knows what she's doing.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            No high blood pressure here, despite being in a very stressful private life (wife is very ill, has a chronic illness that we fear may be moving to end of life stage). No history of HBP in family so maybe hereditary issues are also a key.

I do a lot of exercise, cardio at least 8 hours a week (mostly cycling) and lots of physical lifting (mostly the wife as she has little to no mobility anymore) so fitness may well play a key in HBP.

I don't let work get me down - life's too short and precious to get hung up by work (or idiot strangers on internet forums ).

For all those who are ill though, look after yourselves for you and your family.
            " No history of HBP in family so maybe hereditary issues are also a key."

yes, agreed. This factor is underestimated in my opinion. We accept that physical attributes are hereditary, perhaps less so for skills based attributes and all these can be overshadowed by life's experiences. However, nurture has a great battle to overcome nature.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
              Exercise helps lower weight which is linked to HBP but also helps lower stress levels, which is also linked to HBP, as it releases endorphins; .
              Yup. Went the the gym for an hour this morning. Feel great!

My wife has low blood pressure. On average, we're doing great!
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I had low blood pressure until I didn't any more.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  Relaxing will normally bring it down. Red wine does miracles for my HT and other issues, so try a glass a day with your evening meal.
                  I'm glad I'm not the only one! That and peppermint tea. Both are good to help keep the toxins at bay. My own family has a terrible track record of Cancer.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Apart from the bp, and being overweight I'm fairly fit and healthy. It's genetic I'm sure.
                    Why do people have this mentality? A good diet and exercise, reducing bodyweight will help; there are untold benefits of intense exercise, blood pressure being one.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      I think it was the stress of turning 50. Otherwise there's little stress in my life. I'm off to Cluj this afternoon to conduct a training course which should be fun.

I don't have sleep apnea - that was checked. Apart from the bp, and being overweight I'm fairly fit and healthy. It's genetic I'm sure. Glad to know the sleepiness goes away, and the cough. i do have a bp monitor machine - I'm seeing my doc again in 3 months, and he wants me to record the levels daily.
                      When was the last holiday?

How to tell if you’re close to burning out

Have been managing 3-months of time away from the office per year ever since my wife saw recognised my burnout symptoms. It has made a world of difference. Was prioritising the wellbeing of others before myself. As they saying goes, if you don't do it, someone else will do it for you.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X