• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

High blood pressure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    Why do people have this mentality? A good diet and exercise, reducing bodyweight will help; there are untold benefits of intense exercise, blood pressure being one.
    Weight does have a significant impact but you can be an athlete and still have high blood pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      No high blood pressure here, despite being in a very stressful private life (wife is very ill, has a chronic illness that we fear may be moving to end of life stage). No history of HBP in family so maybe hereditary issues are also a key.

I do a lot of exercise, cardio at least 8 hours a week (mostly cycling) and lots of physical lifting (mostly the wife as she has little to no mobility anymore) so fitness may well play a key in HBP.

I don't let work get me down - life's too short and precious to get hung up by work (or idiot strangers on internet forums ).

For all those who are ill though, look after yourselves for you and your family.

Sorry to hear that. Sounds tough indeed.

Reading this makes me realise how fortuitous we are.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Sorry to hear that. Sounds tough indeed.

Reading this makes me realise how fortuitous we are.
        Thanks.

Everyone has their own challenges and i think it's how you deal with them that is important. Trying to stay positive, and living life to the full is very important. Too many people sweat the small stuff, or things they can't control, which is a shame and doesn't help.

I use cycling as 'my time' away from the personal challenges the wife and I face each day. For that 1-2 hours a day I can get lost in something positive that is not shaped by my wife's health. Oh, and this forum (well the sub forum anyway) is used as my light relief to make me realise how lucky I am
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Why do people have this mentality? A good diet and exercise, reducing bodyweight will help; there are untold benefits of intense exercise, blood pressure being one.
          What mentality? I'm making changes to my diet, attempting to lose weight and going to the gym.

Nonetheless, I'm already fairly fit.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            Weight does have a significant impact but you can be an athlete and still have high blood pressure.
            Not just weight, cardiovascular fitness - note I mentioned intense exercise, something to improve VO2max. Athletes having high blood pressure is the exception; on average and in practice it's a statistical anomaly.

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            What mentality? I'm making changes to my diet, attempting to lose weight and going to the gym.

Nonetheless, I'm already fairly fit.
            Within this thread you've implied the gym was used for saunas and that you're overweight. But no, it's the genes.

Comment

My BP was 113/77 last time I measured using my Withings cuff in April. It's always been on the low side, fortunate as there's lots of cardiovascular issues in my family.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                My BP was 113/77 last time I measured using my Withings cuff in April. It's always been on the low side, fortunate as there's lots of cardiovascular issues in my family.
                I'm about the same.. until you walk in the room! Schwing!!!!
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  The problem with "in my family" statements is that there's a cross over with inter generational lifestyle choices, which makes the waters a lot muddier when people are throwing around inherited issues; yes it can be inherited genetically as much as inherited lifestyle choices (drinking, inactivity etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    Everyone has their own challenges and i think it's how you deal with them that is important.
                    In the last 2.5 years I've learnt that the hard way. I'll try to be brief....

At the age of 20 diagnosed with IGA nephropathy. Prognosis kidney failure in 20 - 25 years.
                    Fairly normal life until 50 then kidney function starting to get close to dialysis. (did you know you only need 15% function to be healthy)
                    Aug 2017 Transplant planning started and wife offered one of hers.
                    During this time urine flow declined so went to GP had forced him to give me a PSA test. Before that finger up the bum felt no abnormalities.
                    PSA came back slightly high (4.1) GP said not to worry. But I was worried so 2 months later had another PSA test (5.2). Again GP said not to worry.
                    Talked to kidney doctor and he referred me to urology.
                    Nov 2017 young urologist came straight out and said with the rising PSA you have cancer mate, now need to find out how bad.
                    MRI came back clear, biopsy came back with organ contained intermediate level cancer.

Then the whirlwind struck!!!

Off the Transplant list as cancer is a no no.

Robotic Prostectomy planning, Haemodialysis planning.
                    Late Jan 2018 dialysis lines put into neck, started twice a week watching my blood get pumped in and out for four hours a time.

Early Feb 2018 Prostate out, catheter in (that is a pain in the dick).
                    Late Feb Cath out, that night in A&E with urinary retention, Cath back in.
                    Mar Cat out and OK apart from normal devastating side effects, not 100% now and never will be
                    April 2018 Op to put dialysis tube in so I can do CAPD dialysis at home.
                    May trained and started home dialysis, got positive news from Prostectomy, clear margins and 0 psa, looks like they got it all, but it was bloody close to getting out. Another 6 months and I'd have been the same as Bill Turnbull.
                    Got to wait 2 years to get back on Transplant list (from the Op).

June back to work with understanding client. Dialysing in a meeting room at lunchtimes.

July, fecking popped a hernia and the dialysis fluid went from my abdomen into my Scrotum, quite impressive pair of balls formed.
                    A&E again.

Now some good news, I had to stop dialysing whilst they fixed the hernia and they realised my Kidney function had increased enough that I didn't need to dialyse

Today, still not dialysing but hernia fixed and a new tube put in as I'm close. PSA has stayed 0. If it 0 in Nov start transplant work up again.

Through all this stayed in work, carried on with a OU MA in Classical studies, just starting the dissertation now. After my wife and her incredible support, the OU kept me going, it was a distraction from the almost constant worry.
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

The problem with "in my family" statements is that there's a cross over with inter generational lifestyle choices, which makes the waters a lot muddier when people are throwing around inherited issues; yes it can be inherited genetically as much as inherited lifestyle choices (drinking, inactivity etc.).
                      Ye olde nature vs nurture debate. Inheritance gives you a likelihood of a scenario and, in some cases (not all!), your lifestyle influences whether that outcome will happen.

Comment

Working...
                      X