• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brookson's portal adds up expenses incorrectly

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    When I used to work in an accounts dept, running the bank accounts, employee expenses and sales ledger, I reconciled everything to the penny. It may have been a multi-million pound organisation but I made damn sure everything I looked after reconciled bang on.

If a system can't add something basic correctly, there's an issue with the system. I wouldn't trust it and would be looking to move elsewhere.

In every accounting system I've used, whether enterprise or more basic, it has not been possible to enter a journal that doesn't add up. That's how it should be, too.
    In this case, one must first rule out user error.

Comment

If someone inputs mileage with decimal places, then adds it all up and multiplies it by a rate, they will get a different value to if they multiply each individual and then add. It’s not “floating point” or anything that inneresting.
      My advice: Only measure to whole numbers of miles (or multiples of 5) and have a rate that is also a whole number.
      And input into a calculator the same way you input into the spreadsheet.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        If someone inputs mileage with decimal places, then adds it all up and multiplies it by a rate, they will get a different value to if they multiply each individual and then add. It’s not “floating point” or anything that inneresting.
        My advice: Only measure to whole numbers of miles (or multiples of 5) and have a rate that is also a whole number.
        And never darken our door again.

Comment

For illustration the display says:

Mileage 1: x miles £20.01
          Mileage 2: y miles £10.01

Total: £30.01

Seemed wrong to me.

Comment

Brookson's portal adds up expenses incorrectly

Originally posted by Shiny View Post

Seemed wrong to me.
            OK, nice and evasive there.
            How many miles were X miles?
            How many miles were Y miles?
            What rate were you using - in my book it will always work out to a £0.05 or £0.10, never less than that

Comment

Seemed wrong to me.
              What do you get if you add £20.007 + £10.006?

Comment

OK, nice and evasive there.
                How many miles were X miles?
                How many miles were Y miles?
                What rate were you using - in my book it will always work out to a £0.05 or £0.10, never less than that
                My point is that it lists the figures itemised by mileage with an associated whole number cost, then adds them together and gets a lesser figure.

The numbers used are an example only, but I do input fractional miles. I'll try it out with more readily divisible numbers and see if that makes a difference.

Comment

My point is that it lists the figures itemised by mileage with an associated whole number cost, then adds them together and gets a lesser figure.

The numbers used are an example only, but I do input fractional miles. I'll try it out with more readily divisible numbers and see if that makes a difference.
                  Simple questions:
                  What mileage are you inputting - don’t make up fake examples.
                  What rate are you using - again, don’t fake it unless you want 52.31 infraction points (which is roughly 100)

Comment

Simple questions:
                    What mileage are you inputting - don’t make up fake examples.
                    What rate are you using - again, don’t fake it unless you want 52.31 infraction points (which is roughly 100)
                    This thread title is a bit unfair to Brookson. Kindly update it to:

Cretin adds up expenses incorrectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      This thread title is a bit unfair to Brookson. Kindly update it to:
                      Thing is, my car does about 25mpg on open roads (in N or A). T5 Short Stay is £320 for 5 days, or £140 if pre-booked. My chauffeur is £200 one way to LHR. I give my clients options.
                      If I’m travelling, I’m billable from when I leave my house.

Comment

Working...
                      X