• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brookson's portal adds up expenses incorrectly

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Simple questions:
    What mileage are you inputting - don’t make up fake examples.
    What rate are you using - again, don’t fake it unless you want 52.31 infraction points (which is roughly 100)
    10.1 miles at 45p a mile is £4.55

Do that twice and it prints out £9.09

I understand its doing 4.545 x2 based on your comments. So not floating point.

That said, when you pay yourself £9.09, elsewhere on the portal it lists expenses owing as 1p.

So when reconciling with the bank account, some other system is doing 4.55 + 4.55.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      This thread title is a bit unfair to Brookson. Kindly update it to:
      Your proposed thread title is a bit unfair to cretins.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Your proposed thread title is a bit unfair to cretins.
        No. I'm fine with it but thanks.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shiny View Post

That said, when you pay yourself £9.09, elsewhere on the portal it lists expenses owing as 1p.

So when reconciling with the bank account, some other system is doing 4.55 + 4.55.
          I'm sure Brookson would be delighted if you moved accountants.

Comment

OK, so I’ll go back to what I said earlier, since you are saying the value you put in is 10.1 miles.

Put in a whole number of miles.
            Round it up or round it down, but to measure something to a fraction is always going to cause issues.

Also, I would suggest that 10.1 miles is probably more inaccurate than 10 miles, because when you say 10.1, you’re saying that you believe that figure is precise within 176 yards, if you say 10 miles, you’re saying the figure is precise to within 1760 yards.
            Is 10.1 based on the odometer of the car on each journey, based on a one-off reading from it, based on google maps, etc?
            Does it include the distance of turning your car around?
            Does it include passing parked cars?
            Does it include swerving for cyclists?

But if you’re determined to claim 10.1 miles for a one way journey and you do that journey 5 days a week, I’d suggest you claim 9 journeys at 10 miles and 1 at 11.

I’d also suggest that you work out the difference between you being inaccurate and a computer performing a calculation to the level you have insisted it should work, even though it is below legal currency levels.

Or, you’re deliberately committing fraud by claiming more in expenses than is due, by alway rounding up each individual calculation.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I don't really care for reporting each journey incorrectly in order to get the system to work happily.

10.1 is from Google maps.

At this point I don't mind what number it spits out at the end. 9.09 or 9.10 as long as elsewhere it isn't disagreeing with itself about what should have been paid out.

In the case of 9.09 it could be more clear that it's adding up the raw values rather than the display to make the total.

FreeAgent gets 9.10 btw.
              Last edited by Shiny; 25 June 2019, 12:07.

Comment

I don't really care for reporting each journey incorrectly in order to get the system to work happily.

10.1 is from Google maps.

At this point I don't mind what number it spits out at the end. 9.09 or 9.10 as long as elsewhere it isn't disagreeing with itself about what should have been paid out.

In the case of 9.09 it could be more clear that it's adding up the raw values rather than the display to make the total.

FreeAgent gets 9.10 btw.
                OK, so you’re happy to commit fraud, that’s OK, we’ve established it.

Let’s put it another way, if you were on an hourly rate, and you worked 1 hr and 2 mins, would you bill your client for 1 hr, or would you divide your hourly rate down to the minute and bill for that?

45p per mile is PER MILE, there is not a fractional option. You either claim for a mile or you don’t claim for a mile. If the rate was per tenth of a mile, then you could claim per tenth of a mile, but not per hundredth.
                The rate is per mile, you claim per mile.
                It’s that simple/
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Gawd, you have too much patience.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    OK, so you’re happy to commit fraud, that’s OK, we’ve established it.

Let’s put it another way, if you were on an hourly rate, and you worked 1 hr and 2 mins, would you bill your client for 1 hr, or would you divide your hourly rate down to the minute and bill for that?

45p per mile is PER MILE, there is not a fractional option. You either claim for a mile or you don’t claim for a mile. If the rate was per tenth of a mile, then you could claim per tenth of a mile, but not per hundredth.
                    The rate is per mile, you claim per mile.
                    It’s that simple/
                    It might be for some but as I've got advanced driving qualifications I use the road space differently to your average Joe which really causes an issue with the distance that google reports. Cutting the apex and hanging back behind trucks to get the optimum line of forward site really affects the actual miles done.

Someone has also just pointed out that having larger tyres than an average family car means I actually travel further as well so I've no idea what tyre size google assumes I'm using.

It's a nightmare I tell you, a nightmare.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      It might be for some but as I've got advanced driving qualifications I use the road space differently to your average Joe which really causes an issue with the distance that google reports. Cutting the apex and hanging back behind trucks to get the optimum line of forward site really affects the actual miles done.

Someone has also just pointed out that having larger tyres than an average family car means I actually travel further as well so I've no idea what tyre size google assumes I'm using.

It's a nightmare I tell you, a nightmare.
                      And you keep pulling over to nosh lorry drivers for loose change.

Comment

Working...
                      X