Brookson's portal adds up expenses incorrectly Brookson's portal adds up expenses incorrectly
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 54

Nervous Newbie

Shiny has no reputation

Angry Brookson's portal adds up expenses incorrectly

I've noticed that sometimes when adding expenses, the total is off by a penny.
    Those with a background in computers will recognise it's probably a floating point error.

Poor form, really. I've gotten myself a freeagent subscription and will be using the totals it comes up with instead.

Thought I should put the word out in cases anyone on here gets caught out by it.

Super poster

Lance - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Those with a background in computers will recognise it's probably a floating point error.

Poor form, really. I've gotten myself a freeagent subscription and will be using the totals it comes up with instead.

Thought I should put the word out in cases anyone on here gets caught out by it.
    really? A penny?
    And you'll look elsewhere for a penny?

It's probably down to the VAT calculations. The software makes VAT into round penny. On a single transaction it's fine, but on a lot they will amount to a penny or two. It's fine.
    The alternative is a £2.99 coffee being £2.491666666666667 when excluding VAT.
    See You Next Tuesday

Super poster

Lance - scorchio!

oh. just noticed.

See You Next Tuesday

Godlike

jamesbrown is a fount of knowledge

Round down profits and round up expenses.

My post count is Majestic

northernladuk is always on top

Brookson payroll employee comes in to work like...

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Nervous Newbie

Shiny has no reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    really? A penny?
    And you'll look elsewhere for a penny?

It's probably down to the VAT calculations. The software makes VAT into round penny. On a single transaction it's fine, but on a lot they will amount to a penny or two. It's fine.
    The alternative is a £2.99 coffee being £2.491666666666667 when excluding VAT.
    It's not a VAT calculation, this is adding up expense totals. If I input mileage for a month then 50% of the time those numbers won't add up the same as if I used a calculator.

It is just a penny but you want your accountants to be spot-on, not getting the easy stuff wrong.

While I could work around a penny off here and there, I got FreeAgent to have confidence for the more complicated areas.

I live on CUK

Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

It's not a VAT calculation, this is adding up expense totals. If I input mileage for a month then 50% of the time those numbers won't add up the same as if I used a calculator.

It is just a penny but you want your accountants to be spot-on, not getting the easy stuff wrong.

While I could work around a penny off here and there, I got FreeAgent to have confidence for the more complicated areas.
    Can you send me a PO for my wasted time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

Nervous Newbie

Shiny has no reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    PO

Godlike

jamesbrown is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    I think that's one of the "more complicated areas", so Shiny wouldn't have confidence that he completed it correctly, or addressed it correctly, or got the order right between putting his socks and shoes on to take it to the post box.

Super poster

ladymuck is a fount of knowledge

When I used to work in an accounts dept, running the bank accounts, employee expenses and sales ledger, I reconciled everything to the penny. It may have been a multi-million pound organisation but I made damn sure everything I looked after reconciled bang on.

If a system can't add something basic correctly, there's an issue with the system. I wouldn't trust it and would be looking to move elsewhere.

In every accounting system I've used, whether enterprise or more basic, it has not been possible to enter a journal that doesn't add up. That's how it should be, too.