• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brookson's portal adds up expenses incorrectly

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brookson's portal adds up expenses incorrectly

I've noticed that sometimes when adding expenses, the total is off by a penny.
    Those with a background in computers will recognise it's probably a floating point error.

Poor form, really. I've gotten myself a freeagent subscription and will be using the totals it comes up with instead.

Thought I should put the word out in cases anyone on here gets caught out by it.

Originally posted by Shiny View Post
    Those with a background in computers will recognise it's probably a floating point error.

Poor form, really. I've gotten myself a freeagent subscription and will be using the totals it comes up with instead.

Thought I should put the word out in cases anyone on here gets caught out by it.
    really? A penny?
    And you'll look elsewhere for a penny?

It's probably down to the VAT calculations. The software makes VAT into round penny. On a single transaction it's fine, but on a lot they will amount to a penny or two. It's fine.
    The alternative is a £2.99 coffee being £2.491666666666667 when excluding VAT.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

oh. just noticed.

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Round down profits and round up expenses.

Comment

Brookson payroll employee comes in to work like...

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            really? A penny?
            And you'll look elsewhere for a penny?

It's probably down to the VAT calculations. The software makes VAT into round penny. On a single transaction it's fine, but on a lot they will amount to a penny or two. It's fine.
            The alternative is a £2.99 coffee being £2.491666666666667 when excluding VAT.
            It's not a VAT calculation, this is adding up expense totals. If I input mileage for a month then 50% of the time those numbers won't add up the same as if I used a calculator.

It is just a penny but you want your accountants to be spot-on, not getting the easy stuff wrong.

While I could work around a penny off here and there, I got FreeAgent to have confidence for the more complicated areas.

Comment

It's not a VAT calculation, this is adding up expense totals. If I input mileage for a month then 50% of the time those numbers won't add up the same as if I used a calculator.

It is just a penny but you want your accountants to be spot-on, not getting the easy stuff wrong.

While I could work around a penny off here and there, I got FreeAgent to have confidence for the more complicated areas.
              Can you send me a PO for my wasted time?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                PO

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  I think that's one of the "more complicated areas", so Shiny wouldn't have confidence that he completed it correctly, or addressed it correctly, or got the order right between putting his socks and shoes on to take it to the post box.

Comment

When I used to work in an accounts dept, running the bank accounts, employee expenses and sales ledger, I reconciled everything to the penny. It may have been a multi-million pound organisation but I made damn sure everything I looked after reconciled bang on.

If a system can't add something basic correctly, there's an issue with the system. I wouldn't trust it and would be looking to move elsewhere.

In every accounting system I've used, whether enterprise or more basic, it has not been possible to enter a journal that doesn't add up. That's how it should be, too.

Comment

Working...
                    X