• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any ideas how to progress?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I'm thinking more how I can progress it with the police. The number was linked to a corporate account and a name, doesn't make sense that the number would still be active 3-4 months after reported stolen. Sounds like the retail firm contacted the employee and the excuse was phone was stolen in December. Which is a pretty tulipty excuse.

It doesn't seem to make sense.
    Do you know who the retail company is? If so, get the details of the CEO, CIO, HR Director or similar (usually fairly easy - just need their name and an example of a member of staff's email address and put 2 and 2 together). Email your chosen exec and explain to them what happened and ask them how they are going to deal with it.

May or may not work, but I used this tactic with a large company when I has having issues with their service (not the same as your situation but might work). I didn't get a response off the exec, but within 10 minutes of the email I had their personal assistant on the phone. They took responsibility for the problem and suddenly, everything was sorted!

Mine was a measly service issue ... can't believe they won't be falling over themselves to help you out given the sh1t your wife has had to deal with.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      It's not unlikely. Many companies off boarding processes are atrocious. When I left CSC I handed all all my kit back including SIM in the phone, signed for it and left thinking nothing of it.

Had a friend I speak to occasionally contact me 6 months or so later saying he keeps leaving messages and I don't reply. Rang the old number and lo and behold it's still got my VM on it.

It's more likely to happen if it's a large corporate.

Horrible situation so hope you can get some closure soon.
      Cheers, fair enough. I suppose I was worried that the police are looking for any excuse to close it. But does sound like it’s possible that the company would not cancel a phone straight away if it was stolen.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        Do you know who the retail company is? If so, get the details of the CEO, CIO, HR Director or similar (usually fairly easy - just need their name and an example of a member of staff's email address and put 2 and 2 together). Email your chosen exec and explain to them what happened and ask them how they are going to deal with it.

May or may not work, but I used this tactic with a large company when I has having issues with their service (not the same as your situation but might work). I didn't get a response off the exec, but within 10 minutes of the email I had their personal assistant on the phone. They took responsibility for the problem and suddenly, everything was sorted!

Mine was a measly service issue ... can't believe they won't be falling over themselves to help you out given the sh1t your wife has had to deal with.
        We did think about this and may still do it but really the outcome that we want is for the police to knock on this pervs door.

Comment

We did think about this and may still do it but really the outcome that we want is for the police to knock on this pervs door.
          My experience with cops is pretty poor. Having been burgled in London, plus separately a Vespa stolen, and both times the cops had no interest. Even though I caught the 2 tw@ts who burgled us and gave them a slap .... cops were more interested in warning me I could get done for assault!
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

My experience with cops is pretty poor. Having been burgled in London, plus separately a Vespa stolen, and both times the cops had no interest. Even though I caught the 2 tw@ts who burgled us and gave them a slap .... cops were more interested in warning me I could get done for assault!

Indeed the stupidity of our Guardians is terrifying.

Ofcom is responsible but toothless.

Abusive and threatening calls - Ofcom
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Cheers, fair enough. I suppose I was worried that the police are looking for any excuse to close it.
              Worry no more! They are.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

My Dad dealt with an intruder a few years back and when it comes to that type of thing the law is a mess. But I don't want to knock the police, it just seemed a clear cut thing. Phone number linked to a corporation with a name using that phone.

Apparently, we can request the details from the police and call the number directly but at this stage seems pointless. Just wanted the perv to be confronted by the police.

Anyway, thanks all for letting me vent and reassuring me that I've not missed something simple.

Comment

Cheers, fair enough. I suppose I was worried that the police are looking for any excuse to close it. But does sound like it’s possible that the company would not cancel a phone straight away if it was stolen.
                  At least they identified the owner of the number, which is more than they do in a lot of cases. All counties have lists of types of crime that are straight out ignored because they don't have resources.

There was an episode of Dispatches last year with some shocking revelations on this subject:

Lawless Britain: Where are the Police? Channel 4 Dispatches | Channel 4

As for large corp not blocking a stolen phone, it's not surprising. If it was a smart phone the IT have most likely remote wiped/locked the handset, but the SIM is probably one of 1000s and they either cba isolating it and/or don't have process of doing that. The person from whom it was stolen was likely just handed a new headset with pre-installed SIM with a new number and the case was closed.

Comment

Working...
                  X