• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should Mark Field be charged with assault?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Societal norms, the trend towards anti-bullying (not specifically gender related but men do tend to be bigger/stronger), the ongoing debate against misogyny and incels, and a vague sense of chivalry and protectiveness.
    What the hell are social norms nowadays? I don't have a bleeding clue nowadays. I didn't think treating women as the poorer sex was part of it though. I see your last points though.

So should different laws or treatment of the law affect these women compared to this activist??

Insert image of 6ft trans woman here.

She's entered in to a situation where it's likely she is going to get jostled and removed. I really don't think she should be playing the woman card in situations like this. Mark Field should get no quarter when his actions are reviewed and she shouldn't not because she is a woman either.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Sadly I suspect they will feel its not in the public interest.
      That shows just how deep the EUSSR conspiracy runs.

Comment

If Jeremy Corbyn were to lunge and grab a woman walking past him by the throat, would that be OK ?

I mean she could be a thug in disguise.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Should Mark Field be charged with assault?

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          What the hell are social norms nowadays? I don't have a bleeding clue nowadays. I didn't think treating women as the poorer sex was part of it though. I see your last points though.

So should different laws or treatment of the law affect these women compared to this activist??
          Not at all - I wasn’t responding in the sense that there was any legal difference, more of a social difference. The law (as far as I am aware) is non-gendered and shouldn’t be applied any differently.

Social norms are the conditionings that we’ve been brought up with. I don’t know about you, but from a very early age it was drilled into us constantly by parents, teachers, etc, never hit girls/women.

Women like Ronda Rousey might be the exception/outliers in terms of strength and athleticism, but put a male boxer in the ring with her and it’s still possible he’ll shy away initially due to that social conditioning.

She's entered in to a situation where it's likely she is going to get jostled and removed. I really don't think she should be playing the woman card in situations like this. Mark Field should get no quarter when his actions are reviewed and she shouldn't not because she is a woman either.
          Agreed, there is an element of “she put herself in that position”. Doesn’t make Field’s reaction any less palatable. There’s probably a whole range of situations for a psychological exercise around this:
          - walk into an area that’s a bit dodgy and get beaten up. Did you put yourself in that position?
          - attempt to burgle a house and get shot. Did they put themselves in that position?
          - wear something a bit flirty and get raped. Did she put herself in that position?

It’s not the action that’s on trial, it’s the reaction and whether it is justified / justifiable.

Comment

Not at all - I wasn’t responding in the sense that there was any legal difference, more of a social difference. The law (as far as I am aware) is non-gendered and shouldn’t be applied any differently.
            The law is non-gendered, but for the n'th time the entire legislation around assaults/self defence/offences against the person etc is centered around words like "reasonable", "proportional". The reality is, that WILL change depending on who is involved.

If you read summing up statements from judges, peoples size, fitness, training etc is regularly taken into account. Because, the simple reality, is that a 6 foot+ big built bloke is going to be a lot different in a fight to a slightly built 5' man.

I'd agree that those differences are perhaps less important in the case of reasonable self defense, but the differences are there and will be taken into account (quite correctly) by the jury.

Comment

I just wish it was but I'm sure I'm not the only one.
              Social norms are the conditionings that we’ve been brought up with. I don’t know about you, but from a very early age it was drilled into us constantly by parents, teachers, etc, never hit girls/women.
              Indeed but we were brought up on some other 'norms' back in the day that we've had to alter most of them as times change. This one, maybe not so as you say.
              Women like Ronda Rousey might be the exception/outliers in terms of strength and athleticism, but put a male boxer in the ring with her and it’s still possible he’ll shy away initially due to that social conditioning.
              Yeah, fair enough. That's true.

Agreed, there is an element of “she put herself in that position”. Doesn’t make Field’s reaction any less palatable. There’s probably a whole range of situations for a psychological exercise around this:
              - walk into an area that’s a bit dodgy and get beaten up. Did you put yourself in that position?
              - attempt to burgle a house and get shot. Did they put themselves in that position?
              - wear something a bit flirty and get raped. Did she put herself in that position?

It’s not the action that’s on trial, it’s the reaction and whether it is justified / justifiable.
              Indeed I guess, and we'll see... but my money is on it comes to nothing, and IMO quite rightly so.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                If Jeremy Corbyn were to lunge and grab a woman walking past him by the throat, would that be OK ?

As Mark Field didn't grab her by the throat I am not sure what the relevance of your question is

Throat - Wikipedia

n vertebrate anatomy, the throat is the front part of the neck, positioned in front of the vertebra.
                Though knowing jezzybell he would probably invite them for tea to discuss eco terrorism.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Only if its Diane Abbott.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    As Mark Field didn't grab her by the throat I am not sure what the relevance of your question is

Throat - Wikipedia

Though knowing jezzybell he would probably invite them for tea to discuss eco terrorism.
                    aha I see so it would be fine if he grabbed her by the neck.

I'm glad we cleared that up.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

aha I see so it would be fine if he grabbed her by the neck.

I'm glad we cleared that up.
                      Only if she failed to clean behind the fridge.....

Comment

Working...
                      X