• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Happy Windrush Day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Windrush Day

Let us take a bit of time to think about the help the Windrush generation gave us in our time of need. It's a shame these Tories have treated them so badly, but maybe now the Windrush families will start to get the help and support they deserve
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Let us take a bit of time to think about the help the Windrush generation gave us in our time of need. It's a shame these Tories have treated them so badly, but maybe now the Windrush families will start to get the help and support they deserve
    As an aside, the ship had an "interesting" history. The Nazis used it to transport thousands of Jews from Norway to the Death Camps. It was bombed many times but never sunk, and confiscated after the war and used as a troop ship in the Korean War, among other uses.
    It was only used once to bring immigrants from the Caribbean, and eventually exploded and sank in the Med. Several crew were killed, and the govt of the day covered up the poor maintenance and general lack of safety.
    There are currently plans to retrieve the anchor to install as a memorial.

Mordy in "Nick Fitz and his amazing Monday Links" Mode.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

FactCheck: who destroyed the Windrush landing cards? – Channel 4 News

Comment

The destruction of the landing cards, and the way the Tories treated the Windrush families, are different issues. We don't need just the landing cards to know who came in on the ships, or to know that these individuals have been in the country legally all this time, working, with NI numbers, paying tax, using the NHS, going through the education system etc. Or that their children were born here. Or their children were on the boat with them.

Given the callousness of this Tory government and their desire to appease their anti immigration xenophobe supporters, having the landing cards to hand is unlikely to have made much difference. The cards are just one piece of data, there is plenty more that could be used.

HTH

Happy Windrush Day
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
        X