• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

StackOverflow...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wife had a question about Excel, she does complicated stuff with pivot tables and such like. Anyway, she couldn't get something to work and it wasn't obvious to me, so I set her up with a SO login for herself.

She posted her question, fair enough it wasn't the most clear and concise question but she is a beginner. Anyway, downvoted to hell, tulipty comments etc. So, I then changed the question for her, phrased it correctly like a programming question. I've got a decent rep on SO so I know how to keep it concise, explained to the wife that you have to keep niceties etc out of the question. Anyway, downvoted and more tulipty comments, by this time my misses is never going to use SO again.

It was like she was targeted because she was a new to SO or a women, that's the only thing I can think of. Anyway, she posted on her company intranet and someone came back with the answer, worked great. Being a nice person, I logged in as the wife and posted the answer.

Anyway, some dick decided that wasn't the answer and posted his own answer, which didnt answer the question. When I politely pointed out that it didn't work and the answer I posted did everything I wanted, he continued to argue in the comments that I was wrong.

Not a great way to treat new people to SO. I rarely post or answer questions on SO now, though I still use it for reference.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Plenty of Indians as well.
      Originally posted by Geronimo
      White man speak with forked tongue.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        ...I rarely post or answer questions on SO now, though I still use it for reference.
        Same.

I had some wipe rewrite my contribution yesterday without so much as a 'by your leave'... still, I did manage to find what I needed; so not all bad.

* shrugs *
        ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
        Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Offer tips on how to get a girlfriend in exchange for polite and helpful responses.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Offer tips on how to get a girlfriend in exchange for polite and helpful responses.
            We really don't want that type reproducing.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              We really don't want that type reproducing.
              It's ok, we're all safe, they'll be incels

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                It's ok, we're all safe, they'll be incels
                Wish I had been.....

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Funnily enough, I've just posted on SO for the first time in over six years

It was to help a chap I know and have worked with; no doubt someone will downvote it to oblivion and call me a moron shortly, but for now you can see it at Display a fixed-length subset of a list in a Django template - Stack Overflow should you wish
                  Tried to upvote your reply, but got

This action requires 15 reputation.
                  Bastards!

I'm sure I have more rep points than that!
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

At least SO isn't everything2

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      Tried to upvote your reply, but got

This action requires 15 reputation.
                      Bastards!

I'm sure I have more rep points than that!
                      It's the thought that counts

Comment

Working...
                      X