• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using own equipment on site

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the last 15+ years I can't remember ever not being given a ClientCo device, or one from their IT support company.
    ...and the last time I was involved in anything close to Vodafone was before Vodafone existed.

I always have a company tablet or computer with me, and generally when working from home I'll be doing some of it on my co gear.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I use the client’s laptop for their outlook and my laptop for the real work.

As they won’t put Project or Visio on their laptop I use mine for Planner and Enterprise Architect. I use their guest internet to transfer stuff via Outlook.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
        SC, List-X & NPPV3 will not (knowingly) let you use your own.

Quick exit...
        Most government organisations are moving to the cloud and a BYOD policy, maybe not for everything but progress is being made in general
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Current client is mostly O365 so the bulk of the job can be done on anything. Access to network shares, printers and shared mailboxes needs client device (if you don't have the shared mailbox login credentials). Also need client device on the client main network (not the guest one) for access to Azure hosted SQL databases. It's getting there. The dB access is being nagged about regularly and I'm sure they will do something about it eventually.

Comment

As others have said.... it depends. The last 4 have, the previous before 7 haven't......

I know of at least one who refused based on the fact that they used to allow it, but then someone connected a BYOD (without sufficient protection) over the VPN and accidentally released a malware attack. As they were connected to a Windows host the malware began recursively encrypting everything on all the network shares they had access to. That caused a LOT of damage, and the client then became very BYOD averse.

Most of what I do now is cloud based, so theoretically it can be run from anywhere with a terminal session, git and a web browser.
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              I can use my own lappy to connect to Citrix desktop or to SharePoint, connecting over own wifi or tethering or client guest wifi. It's pretty painful and there are some corporate applications I can't access so in the end I asked client to provide a lappy.

Contract sanitation operatives like Billy can download an app onto their own phone to be directed to clock in and out and to action big jobs.
              you know you shouldn't be using your professional name 'Billy no mates' on the forum NLyUK gets upset.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Seeing more and more clients operating a wifi cloud that does not connect to the corporate lan but allows you to then remote in via vpn sandbox or use cloud apps with extra security features. I think this is the model of the future evolving.

The current customer has given me AWS and Azure accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Most government organisations are moving to the cloud and a BYOD policy, maybe not for everything but progress is being made in general
                  Check my Role on LinkedIn
                  Last edited by Scruff; 26 June 2019, 07:16.
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Voting currently split 42%/38% so 4% in it.

I don't like the result so I insist on a people's vote. There was Russian interference. The CUK user community was lied to. No I am a Snowflake who cannot accept democracy. I am going to throw my toys out of my pram until I get my way.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Voting currently split 42%/38% so 4% in it.

I don't like the result so I insist on a people's vote. There was Russian interference. The CUK user community was lied to. No I am a Snowflake who cannot accept democracy. I am going to throw my toys out of my pram until I get my way.
                      It's the post-democratic era don't you know. So progressive.

Comment

Working...
                      X