• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using own equipment on site

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
    It's the post-truth era don't you know. So Putinesque.
    FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      FTFY
      As stated unironically by a British Prime Minister, not a Russian one.

Comment

Mostly use my own laptop and software. I'm licensed up and usually my laptop is better than anything the client could provide.

I work mainly from home and have invested in a decent setup so I would think twice working for a client that forced me to use their equipment without good reason.

The only downside is my laptop ends up with various bits of software that clients need. Anything I'm not 100 sure is safe I usually install in a VM, don't have to do this often.
        Last edited by woohoo; 26 June 2019, 13:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
          Check my Role on LinkedIn
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            Most government organisations are moving to the cloud and a BYOD policy, maybe not for everything but progress is being made in general
            This is true, and many private sector organisations were already there years ago.

For example, within the last 5 years, I haven't been with a single client that didn't have all of their relevant infrastructure / code / stuff-i-need-to-work-on in one of the major cloud providers (AWS/Azure/GCP etc.).

It's no surprise that it's the public sector, and specifically governmental depts, that are towards the right hand side on the "Diffusion of Innovations" adoption curve.

Comment

Does anyone take their own equipment when visiting NLyUK?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Does anyone shake their tool when visiting NLyUK?
                Corrected
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Does anyone take their own equipment when visiting NLyUK?
                  Depends on whether you want to get more than you paid for

Comment

Is it worth pointing out that hooking your kit to a remote access portal and proxied access like Citrix is not using your own kit on site, even if you're sat at one of their desks.

The original point was about plugging your kit onto a client network. Outside the LAN firewall, whose box it is doesnt matter a damn and is certainly not any kind of differentiator.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X