• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using own equipment on site

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using own equipment on site

Bit of a going on here https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ng-damage.html over whether clients allow own equipment to be connected to their network. So I thought a poll was in order.
    Yes
    42.86%
    No
    42.86%
    AndyW's mum regularly interfaces with anyone's equipment.
    14.29%
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Even when clients provide me with a laptop I will (and am right now) using my own
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Depends on the client. Small places are usually OK with it, whereas big companies usually have an IT department that gets in a snit if they see something they don't own on the network.

Comment

I can use my own lappy to connect to Citrix desktop or to SharePoint, connecting over own wifi or tethering or client guest wifi. It's pretty painful and there are some corporate applications I can't access so in the end I asked client to provide a lappy.

Contract sanitation operatives like Billy can download an app onto their own phone to be directed to clock in and out and to action big jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Depends on the client. Small places are usually OK with it, whereas big companies usually have an IT department that gets in a snit if they see something they don't own on the network.
          More or less this. current record is about 50/50.

Personally as long as there is an option to use my laptop I do it. Has nothing to do with IR35 paranoia etc. just my kit is better.

Comment

Small clients I always take my own laptop (and use my own Power BI license etc to run their reporting.) Big clients without exception require me to use company hardware and use their software licenses.

Comment

Can't see poll on my phone

It depends on what I can access with my own kit

Comment

I've found it to be a mixed bag, but for the most part, when operating on smaller short term projects as a consultancy I've generally used my own device. In fact, when doing 'proper consultancy' (As in, contracting to a consultancy and going onsite under that) I've always used my own machine. And yes, that includes "big companies you've definitely heard of".

No matter what, I always have my own laptop with me and use it where possible.

Comment

Current Clientco (FTSE100) allows BYOD. Connection is via Citrix to most applications, or RDP into VMs. They have to, a good deal of development is by external consultancies that use their own devices.

Comment

SC, List-X & NPPV3 will not (knowingly) let you use your own.

Quick exit...
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
                    X