• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hmmm - legalise drugs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm - legalise drugs?

'We want to see drugs legally regulated' - Families march on parliament to demand decriminalisation.
    The current approach, which bans drugs and criminalises those involved with them causes more harm, they say. Leading to drug-gang violence, countless lives ruined by criminal records for possession, and entirely avoidable deaths from contaminated street drugs.
    'We want to see drugs legally regulated' - Families march on parliament to demand decriminalisation - Bristol Live

Nonsense IMO. Taking away the living of drug gangs is not going to help unless you can somehow provide them with other equally highly paid jobs, they will just resort to other illegal activities. Also, some drugs are plainly unsafe, there are numerous health risks associated with commonly used drugs, even if they are not contaminated, and no amount of regulation will take away those risks. Legalisation will just cause more people to suffer the health consequences.

Personally I would go in the opposite direction, tackle the demand as well as the supply. Treat the users with the same penalties as we treat the minor suppliers.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 25 June 2019, 21:04.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

PS Disagreeing with myself - "equally high paid jobs" probably over the top but you have to give these people a lot more opportunities. Inequality is proven to be a major cause of crime.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Valid point about about the drugs gangs and one that is probably lost on you average do gooder wanting to legalise it.

Problem is, if they do legalise it they must make sure it adds to public purse and doesn't cost extra IMO. They need to tax the crap out of it like smoking, drinking and fuel which in turn is probably going to make it too expensive for the lower end of the druggies market who will turn to alternative sources i.e. Local growers so doesn't really remove the problem. Well off people won't get bad weed but does nothing to address the problems down at the bottom.

They could not tax it to keep it cheap enough to put the illicit trade out of business but IMO but it would a burden on the average tax payer which I think is wholly wrong.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        . Inequality is claimed to be a major cause of crime.
        FTFY

strange that some of those without can understand law but just choose to ignore it, but others without can obey it.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Inequality is proven to be a major cause of crime.
          The USSR had almost no crime at all. [cough]

Comment

If alcohol and tobacco were discovered today, they would be banned.

Perhaps the worst drug of all is refined sugar.

I would have us all on a diet of vegetables, fruit, salad and only water to drink. Of course, meat would be nice but runimants are killing the planet. I suppose we can have some pork/chicken once a week.

Of course, this means we will all live longer. Well we might not live longer - but it will feel like it....

Comment

I'd legalise natural cannabis but only permit it's sales to those aged 25 and over, because it's psychoactive there's been lots of studies that suggest it effects brain development in the young so only sell it to those who's brains are biologically fully developed

you can obviously tax and license outlets and generate income, but keep that for local councils to administer, maybe that way they can generate revenue through this market and not parking charging or high business rates which just accelerate the death of towns

additionally freeing up it's usage may ease the pressure and costs on other public services like health and social care

it's a vote winner for any serious candidate, but don't get dragged into conversations about skunk or coke etc, these are manufactured full of chemicals that have addictive traits, there will still be a black market for these doesn't mean you should legalise their sale

Comment

Unless you can somehow provide them with other equally highly paid jobs.
                Not everyone is equal in thought and deed and a lot of these miscreants are wholly unemployable because they aren't capable of thought or deed except to make a misery for others. Scum floats when it should sink unfortunately

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
                  Not everyone is equal in thought and deed and a lot of these miscreants are wholly unemployable because they aren't capable of thought or deed except to make a misery for others. Scum floats when it should sink unfortunately
                  Nonsense!

Some are unemployable. Not "a lot".

A bigger issue is how to encourage the rest to work hard. Why work hard and face renting your whole life because the selfish older people have f**ked the housing market?

First step is to stop foreign ownership, stop tax relief on second home incomes, increase taxes on them(with huge minimums to stop property being left empty).

Comment

"runimants are killing the planet" this just not true. The number of people that want to consume the global resources is threatening human existence.

Comment

Working...
                    X