• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you define "contractor altitude"?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you define "contractor altitude"?

It's all about the altitude. Poll to follow
    I'm flying a fighter plane eating spag bol off my lap
    54.55%
    I'm Mary Poppins doing the limbo at a ClientCo Christmas bash
    18.18%
    I'm somewhere in between (AndyW's Mum's legs)
    27.27%

In aviation there are three definitions that are relevant:
    "Altitude" is height above sea level, in feet. Displayed by your altimeter after entering the QNH.
    This is in contrast with "Height", which is my height above a particular point, usually an airfield. Enter the QFE.
    Finally above the "Transition Altitude" (usually around 6000 feet) "Flight level" is the height assuming a standard pressure setting of 1013.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
      In aviation there are three definitions that are relevant:
      "Altitude" is height above sea level, in feet. Displayed by your altimeter after entering the QNH.
      This is in contrast with "Height", which is my height above a particular point, usually an airfield. Enter the QFE.
      Finally above the "Transition Altitude" (usually around 6000 feet) "Flight level" is the height assuming a standard pressure setting of 1013.
      So if you are flying at a height of 100m above the Dead Sea, you are a contractor with a negative altitude?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        So if you are flying at a height of 100m above the Dead Sea, you are a contractor with a negative altitude?
        Or landing somewhere like Schiphol which is slightly below sea level.

Comment

a contractor with a negative altitude?

Comment

You got it.

In fact there is an eccentric pilot by the name of Maurice Kirk who got away with flying his aircraft inside the Cardiff Airport CTR control zone (controlled airspace) without permission, by flying below the cliffs next to the airport. His defence was that he was flying with a negative height relative to the height of the aerodrome, and the bounds of the controlled airspace were defined as being "above".

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
              You got it.

In fact there is an eccentric pilot by the name of Maurice Kirk who got away with flying his aircraft inside the Cardiff Airport CTR control zone (controlled airspace) without permission, by flying below the cliffs next to the airport. His defence was that he was flying with a negative height relative to the height of the aerodrome, and the bounds of the controlled airspace were defined as being "above".
              I'd love to meet Maurice one day, but christ, eccentric is putting it mildly.

Comment

A combination of Ace Rimmer and Lord Flashheart!

What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                X