• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switching from contract to perm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching from contract to perm

Real conversation between me and a recruiter:

Recruiter: (calls me) - Hi I found you on linkedin tell me your life story and all about your experience
    Me: (complies)
    Recruiter: So are you looking for contract or perm work?
    Me: Contract only
    Recruiter: Ah, this role is perm. Would you consider perm?
    Me: Erm, not ideally but I guess it would have to be the right company, right role, and £X rate
    Recruiter: (tells me all about the company and role, confirms it is £X rate, asks my day rate on last role)
    Me: Ok great that actually sounds like a cool company and interesting role, chuck me in for it and let's see what happens. My last role was x per day (didn't lie because why would I lie)
    Recruiter: That day rate is obvs more than the perm salary, what do I say when they ask why you want to flip
    Me: Well I don't 'want' to flip, but if and when I do it would have to be the right company, right role, and £X rate. Obviously there isn't a snowflakes chance in hell of matching a contract salary to a perm salary so it is always going to have this disparity, as I said - right company right role, let's start the discussion and see whether it goes anywhere anyway.

*(2hrs later Recruiter calls back)*

Recruiter: Hey they're going to ask me why you want to go perm, tell me
    Me: (repeats what I said about it needing to be the right company etc)
    Recruiter: Ok cool

*(30mins later Recruiter calls back)*

Recruiter: Hey do you know what your last rate worked out to a year?!
    Me: Erm, yes of course I do
    Recruiter: (tells me anyway) Thats £X per year! They are going to ask me why you want to go perm!
    Me: (repeats what I said about it needing to be the right company etc, again. Reminds him that he confirmed it would be £X salary which is the top end for this role - if anybody wanted to flip it doesn't get better)
    Recruiter: Ok I'll put it to my account manager

*(20mins later)*
    Recruiter: (Emails me saying "They have enough CV's now so recruitment is on hold, thanks for your time")
    Me: (Thinks) You called me buddy!... whaddaguy..

Ok

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Unfortunately agents are not best placed to understand subtle nuances of this kind.

Comment

Recruiter: They are going to ask why you want to go perm.
        Answer: So I don't have to deal with recruitment agents.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Maybe they just wanted your CV?

Comment

Originally posted by Disordely View Post
            Real conversation between me and a recruiter:

Recruiter: (calls me) - Hi I found you on linkedin tell me your life story and all about your experience
            Me: (complies)
            Recruiter: So are you looking for contract or perm work?
            Me: Contract only
            Recruiter: Ah, this role is perm. Would you consider perm?
            Me: Erm, not ideally but I guess it would have to be the right company, right role, and £X rate
            Recruiter: (tells me all about the company and role, confirms it is £X rate, asks my day rate on last role)
            Me: Ok great that actually sounds like a cool company and interesting role, chuck me in for it and let's see what happens. My last role was x per day (didn't lie because why would I lie)
            Recruiter: That day rate is obvs more than the perm salary, what do I say when they ask why you want to flip
            Me: Well I don't 'want' to flip, but if and when I do it would have to be the right company, right role, and £X rate. Obviously there isn't a snowflakes chance in hell of matching a contract salary to a perm salary so it is always going to have this disparity, as I said - right company right role, let's start the discussion and see whether it goes anywhere anyway.

*(2hrs later Recruiter calls back)*

Recruiter: Hey they're going to ask me why you want to go perm, tell me
            Me: (repeats what I said about it needing to be the right company etc)
            Recruiter: Ok cool

*(30mins later Recruiter calls back)*

Recruiter: Hey do you know what your last rate worked out to a year?!
            Me: Erm, yes of course I do
            Recruiter: (tells me anyway) Thats £X per year! They are going to ask me why you want to go perm!
            Me: (repeats what I said about it needing to be the right company etc, again. Reminds him that he confirmed it would be £X salary which is the top end for this role - if anybody wanted to flip it doesn't get better)
            Recruiter: Ok I'll put it to my account manager

*(20mins later)*
            Recruiter: (Emails me saying "They have enough CV's now so recruitment is on hold, thanks for your time")
            Me: (Thinks) You called me buddy!... whaddaguy..
            You joined the forum to post that tulip? FFS.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

That's two minutes I'm not going to get back.

The invoice is in the post.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Smells to me that the client was just testing the water for staff anyway, get that a lot outside London. They have no idea how much experienced people cost and the agents lie in order to get the business.

When they come back with a CV and an "expectation" the client draws a sharp breath and goes somewhere quiet for a lie-down.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                  Smells to me that the client was just testing the water for staff anyway, get that a lot outside London. They have no idea how much experienced people cost and the agents lie in order to get the business.

When they come back with a CV and an "expectation" the client draws a sharp breath and goes somewhere quiet for a lie-down.
                  In this case, the OP's CV never got anywhere near "the client".

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                  X