• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Few things about Indians (IT)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    FTFY

It is interesting to look at the names of the Indian workers and note their probable caste.
    I worked alongside 4 Indian continent workers, one woman, some time ago and remarked to one, who was taking KT from me, that they all walked in together each morning in the same order. He pointed out that the woman would always be last and that the order was dictated by their caste.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      The thread is not racist. It is a link to an article for discussion. It was not posted to bash anyone.

I've been working with Indian outsourcers for nearly 20 years. I think the article is fairly racist, but some of the things it says definitely reflect my observations. Of course there are decent Indians, but the article is talking about the culture of the big Indian tech companies. They are not nice places, they are not run by nice people. I've talked with a few Indian coworkers, they've also described some of the strategies the article portrays.

Its an an interesting article. Very US centric.
      as someone who has worked in Silicon Valley as a global manager and director in two of the largest IT companies there are some very interesting stand outs.

Indians hire Indians. Once they land they expand.
      This is because the vast majority of applicants are Indian. It’s actually quite difficult to find skilled domestic workers. and to be honest on paper the Indian resumes are much better.

On my my last role I had four managers. The three US managers all hired domestic, my Indian manager only hired Indian! So what does that say. I personally would only hire the best regardless and always had the final say.

the other point about kickbacks. Seen that. I had a stand up row with my equivalent who once I had transferred some teams and workers over then periodically replaced them. I’d heard he was on the take from a small consultancy / body shop he was using and I also knew he was skint as a land deal he was doing in India had gone wrong. I’d bought the guy in and was a friend from a previous company but over the next two years he bought in 100 people from this company and slowly pushed me out to the poiny where I quit. Funnily he’s now loaded!
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Its an an interesting article. Very US centric.
        as someone who has worked in Silicon Valley as a global manager and director in two of the largest IT companies there are some very interesting stand outs.

Indians hire Indians. Once they land they expand.
        This is because the vast majority of applicants are Indian. It’s actually quite difficult to find skilled domestic workers. and to be honest on paper the Indian resumes are much better.

On my my last role I had four managers. The three US managers all hired domestic, my Indian manager only hired Indian! So what does that say. I personally would only hire the best regardless and always had the final say.

the other point about kickbacks. Seen that. I had a stand up row with my equivalent who once I had transferred some teams and workers over then periodically replaced them. I’d heard he was on the take from a small consultancy / body shop he was using and I also knew he was skint as a land deal he was doing in India had gone wrong. I’d bought the guy in and was a friend from a previous company but over the next two years he bought in 100 people from this company and slowly pushed me out to the poiny where I quit. Funnily he’s now loaded!
        people from different cultures have different life standards from us in the UK. There are differences even within the UK itself. I guess we can all think of examples of acceptable/unacceptable behaviour of others from a different culture.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
          people from different cultures have different life standards from us in the UK. There are differences even within the UK itself. I guess we can all think of examples of acceptable/unacceptable behaviour of others from a different culture.
          I think we can agree that taking bribes for placing people is pretty much unacceptable regardless of culture.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I think we can agree that taking bribes for placing people is pretty much unacceptable regardless of culture.
            agreed, but is it more prevalent in non UK cultures, or does the UK handle it a different way, e.g. through "old boys" associations.

I've worked with UK and non UK Asians for some years and I can see a difference in their approaches. However, even within the UK Asian communities, I also recognise some differences.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
              I worked alongside 4 Indian continent workers, one woman, some time ago and remarked to one, who was taking KT from me, that they all walked in together each morning in the same order. He pointed out that the woman would always be last and that the order was dictated by their caste.
              The only part that is believable is the woman being last but not the caste bit.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Worked for a company sub contracted to the MOD a couple of years ago. Mostly home grown staff but quite a few Indians in IT. The tester was a woman from Delhi. She left to have a child but was involved in recruiting her replacement.

Shortly before she left she confided in me, in tears, that she was being leant on, internally and externally, to hire somebody from her region.

Unbelievable. This was also the place where the new starter that turned up on Monday wasn't the same person that was interviewed on Friday. It was just the same suit that showed up, different person in it

Comment

I've worked with Britain born Indians, Immigrants and outsourced placements for decades. Many of them I count as friends whom I've kept in contact with for years but they aren't all wonderful and certainly incidents of more unpleasant experiences are increasing more recently.

I quite recently had a phone interview where it became increasingly evident as the call progressed that the interviewer had no intension in offering me any contract regardless of my performance, it was my guess that he was looking for Indians only and going through the motions only to not let this slip.

You can't generalise but it is well established that developing nations are mired in nepotism, corruption and racism. It's one of the features that keep them poor.

Nevertheless, the article looks bogus to me.
                  Last edited by TwoWolves; 8 July 2019, 09:03.

Comment

A lot of posts here could actually just relate to the UK as well...

"It's not what you know, it's who you know."
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      A lot of posts here could actually just relate to the UK as well...

"It's not what you know, it's who you know."
                      +1 This

One of my last gigs, the only fellow contractors who got extensions were the ones who were drinking buddies with the Programme Manager and would feed his need to be out on the lash 3/4 times week.

Comment

Working...
                      X