• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Databases

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Databases

MS Access contractor work, is there any out there, I am desperate.

Firstly you used the word 'Databases'

You mean Database.

Then you want to add Lo-Level

Then change your request to 'Money for nothing. Any work out there for someone who cant be bothered to update their skills'.

Hth
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
      Firstly you used the word 'Databases'

You mean Database.

Then you want to add Lo-Level

Then change your request to 'Money for nothing. Any work out there for someone who cant be bothered to update their skills'.

Hth

Harsh, but fair
      The pope is a tard.

Comment

He was right with "Databases". Access isn't a "database". It's a "database management system" which can be used to create and manage "databases".

Unless he is only able to work on one particular Access database, of course. That would limit his opportunities severely.

Yes there is lots of MS Access contractor work "out there". Does that make you feel less, or more desperate?

Comment

Jeez...I can use access like a mofo and I dont even work in IT.

Personal opinion is that it is the spawn on the devil.

Comment

Access is the database of choice for Management who can hit the keys a little.

It aint scaleable, scheduleable, practical and anyother able or cal you want to add.

Just spent months rewriting somebodies 3 Access Databases and macros into SQL Server. Poor bloke had to sit there pressing buttons for 4 hours every day, never took a day off in 18 months.

I had the whole of christmas off. My dts packages emailed me if there was a prob. Which there wasnt.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Aye. My last company ran thier entire operations (1000+ employees) on one access database.

If was rubbish.

I started to convert it to php using ADOdb so that it was at least oprtable. It was looking good. Then I left (got fired) and left them with a few thousand lines of uncommented code.

Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                You're the guy that left me that 20,000 line assembler program with the single solitary redundant comment of "START" aren't you?
                Not redundant.

The comment is there to tell you that you're holding the listing the right way up.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Well at my current gig I'm struggling to move them up to Access away from 1,000,001 Excel spreadsheets. I figured - show them what Access could do to improve their situation (as it is better at database things than excel) and then push them to something like sql. I can't go to the sql step in one move as I have not used SQL Server!!!! Then I'm hoping that I can mobve them to SQL and bet a look in myself when the SQL dev starts.

Out of interest, how did all you sql people get into this area - I mean from a newbie perspective. I have bought a few books but find it really difficult to learn things if I'm not being asked to deliver things in them.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Import the spreadsheets into Access
                    Use a tool called AccessDump to create a MySQL dump file
                    Import into MySQL
                    Write some PHP code or use off the shelf (mostly open source), tools to manipulate the tables.

Next...
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X