• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Petitions: Repeal IR35 legislation proposed Private Sector rollout

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"They" wouldn't get much out of ship tax or hearth tax these days.

However, window tax is another matter.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Last in, First out. VAT for our entry in to the EC should go first.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
        And what taxes would you increase to make up for shortfall?

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
          Prior to VAT the UK had "purchase tax". Purchase tax was set at 33.3%. VAT started off at 10% then reduced to 8%.

Cars had purchase tax, plus car tax, plus duty plus road tax.

BTW: Any foreign purchase had to be deducted from your personal foreign exchange allowance which used to be £50 per year. You needed BOE permission to buy a foreign car.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Prior to VAT the UK had "purchase tax". Purchase tax was set at 33.3%. VAT started off at 10% then reduced to 8%.

Cars had purchase tax, plus car tax, plus duty plus road tax.

BTW: Any foreign purchase had to be deducted from your personal foreign exchange allowance which used to be £50 per year. You needed BOE permission to buy a foreign car.
            FFS, life in the UK sucked before EU!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              FFS, life in the UK sucked before EU!
              You had to join a club or somesuch if you wanted a charter flight to Spain or where ever.

It was like the dark ages.

Purchase tax was levied on the wholesale price of the goods.

It went up & down like a whore's drawers, 33%, 66%, 100%, according to the whim of the Chancellor.

Decimalisation was brought in to make VAT easier. :rollin

Pre decimalisation computers had hardware to cope with £sd.

Don't forget that the highest rate of Income Tax was 98%.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Happy to sign, but can I be the pessimist and ask what makes anyone think this petition would be any different than all the ones that have gone before?
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  You had to join a club or somesuch if you wanted a charter flight to Spain or where ever.

It was like the dark ages.

Purchase tax was levied on the wholesale price of the goods.

It went up & down like a whore's drawers, 33%, 66%, 100%, according to the whim of the Chancellor.

Decimalisation was brought in to make VAT easier. :rollin

Pre decimalisation computers had hardware to cope with £sd.

Don't forget that the highest rate of Income Tax was 98%.
                  Thank food for UK joining EU!!!

Oh wait...

Comment

Yesterday there were around 5k votes and today the count reached to 11,722!! I have seen this petition on some other forums and social media groups as well. If you didn't sign it yet please add your signature. Also we should let the other contractors around us never heard about this petition.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      Happy to sign, but can I be the pessimist and ask what makes anyone think this petition would be any different than all the ones that have gone before?
                      The answer is on the url:
                      "At 100,000 signatures, this petition will be considered for debate in Parliament"

There are a couple of million people currently working as a self-employed person in the U.K. It shouldn't be difficult to reach 100k!

Comment

Working...
                      X