• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trademark Squatting - Bonzo Dog Band.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trademark Squatting - Bonzo Dog Band.

So apparently this is a thing now, even if it does sound like one of their song titles.

If you are a fan of the Bonzo's consider chucking them a few quid to help with the legal costs.

The Bonzo Dog Banned

The Bonzo Dog Banned
    SOS! The original Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band have had their name trademarked without their permission. Help them get it back & change the law to protect all musicians/ artists #TheBonzoslaw #Savethebonzos

This case is raising funds for its stretch target. Your pledge will be collected within the next 24-48 hours (and it only takes two minutes to
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

It's a good idea to trademark names or logos. Had a problem a few years back when another local company registered a logo rather like the one we'd been using for years then said we were infringing their rights.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Morale of the story - register your trademarks!

It’s not that expensive, or it was for a nice single EU community mark that will work in whole of EU

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Morale of the story - register your trademarks!

It’s not that expensive, or it was for a nice single EU community mark that will work in whole of EU
        The Bonzos split up in the early 1970s, then re-formed for a tour about fifteen years ago, then split up again, and now re-form from time to time (most years, in fact) for a tour, with both original members and some new ones. Meanwhile, some of the other original members also tour under other names, but usually mentioning their association with the band, which is fine by all concerned. (Source: a friend of mine who's known them forever and plays drums for any and all of them, whatever they may be called.)

Although they don't always get along when touring together (hence not all getting together again after the early 2000s tour) there isn't any animosity or business issue between them, just personality clashes and mild artistic differences, so they were all fine with any of them trading off the name when they wanted to. The nearest to an owner of the name is Neil Innes, who leads the band that plays under the name.

What they never expected was for some complete stranger to simply trademark their name, which they've had since the early 1960s, behind their backs without so much as a by-your-leave

The problem is that no checks whatsoever seem to be made before issuing a trademark. I could apply to trademark the name Brotherhood of Man and if for some reason the 1970s Eurovision winners don't already hold the trademark, I'd get it for £200 and could then sue them for infringement if they tried to perform under that name. It's a stupid system, with no checks on prior or even current usage of the mark by somebody other than the applicant.

Comment

Will the Queen sue Queen?
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            The Bonzos split up in the early 1970s, then re-formed for a tour about fifteen years ago, then split up again, and now re-form from time to time (most years, in fact) for a tour, with both original members and some new ones. Meanwhile, some of the other original members also tour under other names, but usually mentioning their association with the band, which is fine by all concerned. (Source: a friend of mine who's known them forever and plays drums for any and all of them, whatever they may be called.)

Although they don't always get along when touring together (hence not all getting together again after the early 2000s tour) there isn't any animosity or business issue between them, just personality clashes and mild artistic differences, so they were all fine with any of them trading off the name when they wanted to. The nearest to an owner of the name is Neil Innes, who leads the band that plays under the name.

What they never expected was for some complete stranger to simply trademark their name, which they've had since the early 1960s, behind their backs without so much as a by-your-leave

The problem is that no checks whatsoever seem to be made before issuing a trademark. I could apply to trademark the name Brotherhood of Man and if for some reason the 1970s Eurovision winners don't already hold the trademark, I'd get it for £200 and could then sue them for infringement if they tried to perform under that name. It's a stupid system, with no checks on prior or even current usage of the mark by somebody other than the applicant.
            It’s mine now, Dave.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Nope, that's a different kind of queen altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                On the contrary, I think Queen would definitely have a case against the Queen....

Comment

Working...
                X