• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The real tax scandal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    In all of the coverage I note that actual figures are absent. This is gripe from those who, 12 months ago, were told that any pension contributions over £80K per annum would not attract tax relief. Make your own mind up about how impoverished these 'workers' are.
    If they turn down work (which they do) then it’s a tax loss and service (vital) not provided.

It’s not just pension but 100-125k scam with crazy marginal rate of tax, there is basically no point to work overtime for them and I can’t blame them - it’s the system that’s fooked and now it will be fooking patients
    Last edited by AtW; 10 July 2019, 08:26.

Comment

It’s not just pension but 100-125k scam with crazy marginal rate of tax
      I've not been able to find this out (and I'm behind on reading my PE), whats the actual 'scam' here then?

Comment

I've not been able to find this out (and I'm behind on reading my PE), whats the actual 'scam' here then?
        Are you caught in the 60% tax trap? | UK news | The Guardian

And these people in question will also face extra tax for exceeding moronic pension rules, all that taken together makes it a scam

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          It’s not just pension but 100-125k scam with crazy marginal rate of tax, there is basically no point to work overtime for them and I can’t blame them - it’s the system that’s fooked and now it will be fooking patients
          In some cases they would give up time with their family and pay for the priveledge!

Its what happens when tax system is too complicated.

Comment

If I read it right there is now an effective tax rate of 60% for earners over 100K. It could be worse.

Comment

If I read it right there is now an effective tax rate of 60% for earners over 100K. It could be worse.
              Plus extra tax on top if you happen to be breaching pension savings limits.

Yes, it could be worse, but don't expect these people to give you a heart bypass on weekend because they got no obligation to work for free or pay to turn up at their job.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Are you caught in the 60% tax trap? | UK news | The Guardian

And these people in question will also face extra tax for exceeding moronic pension rules, all that taken together makes it a scam
                You could always vote with your feet.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Given that the last 4 encounters with 'these people' have all worked both NHS and private I'd say that there should be limits on what 'overtime' they should be allowed to do. I'm aware that they will play the 'not enough of us' card but IME it's the lack of recovery staff and/or beds that dictate the limits. Putting an arbitrary sanction in place if the queue is seen as too long is the wrong measure.

Comment

Working...
                  X