• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Russia's RT banned from UK media freedom conference

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    Like the BBC 'news' report on Monday about the Greek election closing with the propagandist (er, reporter) saying that the end of Greece's experiment with populism (Syriza) and return to an establishment government sends a message to the US and the UK?
    That's an opinion (why can't they have it?), not propaganda.

Cretins like you got no idea what propaganda really is - because you were lucky enough to live in a country without it.

Comment

Too many right wing extremists who would like to see a BBC run by like minded fanatics. It won't happen though. I notice they even complain about all the other TV stations as well, not just the BBC.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

He might have had a point or he might not, but it was sheer opinion / editorialising, not fact-checked news. And the BBC does this kind of stuff all the time.
        News were facts about winning party in elections.

Opinion (commentary) was not unreasonable too, if you want just facts read Bloomberg/Reuters.

Comment

This publication from the LSE describing populism shows the BBC journalist was absolutely right applying the label of "populist" to Sryza.

Understanding the Global Rise of Populism
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            This publication from the LSE describing populism shows the BBC journalist was absolutely right applying the label of "populist" to Sryza.

Understanding the Global Rise of Populism
            LSE = university so must be lefty...
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Too many right wing extremists who would like to see a BBC run by like minded fanatics. It won't happen though. I notice they even complain about all the other TV stations as well, not just the BBC.
              Not just extremists. The Tories would like to see a BBC run by Tories. Labour would like to see it run by Labour.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                Wonder how soon it will be before they are banned altogether...

Shame on them for reporting stuff like this

Other sites will still syndicate the information though - until they get banned as well.

I suppose what we don't know can't hurt us can it?
                A fabrication of what?

Read all four links that you’ve provided. There is insinuation, but the only fact they are able to make is that Philip May is employed as a pensions advisor.

Given the lack of any smoking gun that you seem to be looking for, what other “facts” do you have to support a news story?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Cretins
                  The unfortunate part about saying that is it made you feel clever or funny or superior, but it just exposed you.

Comment

The definition of "populist" is generally accepted and would certainly encompass Syriza (I've got no idea who Sryza is ). The opinion-insertion, which has no place in a serious and rather important news report, was his view that it was a message to the UK and US about populism.

If I want personal opinions I'll watch/read a forum for them rather than a news report telling me what happened. For that, I want hard and vetted news. And that's true whether I agree with the opinions expressed or not -- they have no place in a news report. That's basic journalistic ethics.

Perhaps our friend up above doesn't understand this, he's probably still trying to adjust to living in a free society.

Comment

The opinion-insertion, which has no place in a serious and rather important news report, was his view that it was a message to the UK and US about populism.
                      Or, rather than his opinion, perhaps it was his analysis of the situation (or reporting someone else's analysis) which certainly does have a place in important and serious news reports.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X