• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to re-introduce national service?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to re-introduce national service?

Young people 'need help with independence' - BBC News

Education Secretary Damian Hinds was launching a project teaching teenagers "life skills", such as budgeting, sharing a house or coping with relationship problems.

FFS

Maybe ..

Just fooking maybe

It could be included as part of the national curriculum - you know so that place where our kids go to learn all sorts of useful tulip actually includes some real life useful tulip.

Also where the fook are the parents at?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Education Secretary Damian Hinds was launching a project teaching teenagers "life skills", such as budgeting, sharing a house or coping with relationship problems.

FFS
      Two years in Aldershot being shouted at by Shauny to peel spuds like a soldier is unlikely to foster a sense of independence.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Two years in Aldershot being shouted at by Shauny to peel spuds like a soldier is unlikely to foster a sense of independence.
        It might teach them to be grateful to be out of it?

I thought parents were supposed to breed independants not dependants?

Comment

I taught 16-19 YO in an iTec for a couple of years. We had to have 1 session per week on 'Social skills'. We rotated who presented them and we had a book of 'suggestions'. I never once used any of the examples in the boot as they were all to 'rose tinted specs'. One memorable session I picked a local issue (the plans to build a low security prison near Guildford) which had polarised the locals. Two sides had to argue their case. Those that were forced to be 'pro' were by far the most imaginative as they had no source material to work from, the 'cons' just used the local rag. Out come was that it should be built.

Comment

I'm too old for National Service, so yes, definitely bring it back...
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

One only has to look around to see parents don't know much about budgeting or healthy relationships. The state shouldn't be teaching the latter but budgeting is just an application of basic arithmetic so seems a no-brainer to teach it.

As for nation service... you get told what to do and all your food and lodging is provided. I thought squaddies often found themselves bewildered when they left this lifestyle and had to figure out how to look after themselves? Isn't it genuinely a common problem for those leaving the forces?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

FFS
                Why “FFS”? Kids should be taught this in schools, instead of (or in addition to) being taught how to calculate the area of a circle.

I know which one is more useful in everyday life....

Comment

Farage-Jugend

Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

Education Secretary Damian Hinds was launching a project teaching teenagers "life skills", such as budgeting, sharing ...
                    I read that at first glance as "shaving" - perhaps in an attempt to prevent them becoming hipsters.

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    It could be included as part of the national curriculum - you know so that place where our kids go to learn all sorts of useful tulip actually includes some real life useful tulip.
                    Where I live, kids in the second and third tiers of mainstream education are taught how to do their tax returns. Kids in the top tier - destined for university - don't. I guess the idea is that they'll be able to afford to pay someone else to do it.

I'm pretty sure that budgeting was part of Domestic Science when I was at school.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X