Time to re-introduce national service? Time to re-introduce national service?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 15

I Am Legend

BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?

Default Time to re-introduce national service?

Young people 'need help with independence' - BBC News

Education Secretary Damian Hinds was launching a project teaching teenagers "life skills", such as budgeting, sharing a house or coping with relationship problems.

FFS

Double Godlike!

original PM is a fount of knowledge

Maybe ..

Just fooking maybe

It could be included as part of the national curriculum - you know so that place where our kids go to learn all sorts of useful tulip actually includes some real life useful tulip.

Also where the fook are the parents at?

I live on CUK

Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post

Education Secretary Damian Hinds was launching a project teaching teenagers "life skills", such as budgeting, sharing a house or coping with relationship problems.

FFS
    Two years in Aldershot being shouted at by Shauny to peel spuds like a soldier is unlikely to foster a sense of independence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

I Am Legend

BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    Two years in Aldershot being shouted at by Shauny to peel spuds like a soldier is unlikely to foster a sense of independence.
    It might teach them to be grateful to be out of it?

I thought parents were supposed to breed independants not dependants?

Contractor Among Contractors

NigelJK is NOT a disguised employee

I taught 16-19 YO in an iTec for a couple of years. We had to have 1 session per week on 'Social skills'. We rotated who presented them and we had a book of 'suggestions'. I never once used any of the examples in the boot as they were all to 'rose tinted specs'. One memorable session I picked a local issue (the plans to build a low security prison near Guildford) which had polarised the locals. Two sides had to argue their case. Those that were forced to be 'pro' were by far the most imaginative as they had no source material to work from, the 'cons' just used the local rag. Out come was that it should be built.

Godlike

Mordac is a fount of knowledge

I'm too old for National Service, so yes, definitely bring it back...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

My post count is Majestic

d000hg - scorchio!

One only has to look around to see parents don't know much about budgeting or healthy relationships. The state shouldn't be teaching the latter but budgeting is just an application of basic arithmetic so seems a no-brainer to teach it.

As for nation service... you get told what to do and all your food and lodging is provided. I thought squaddies often found themselves bewildered when they left this lifestyle and had to figure out how to look after themselves? Isn't it genuinely a common problem for those leaving the forces?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

Super poster

meridian - scorchio!

FFS
    Why “FFS”? Kids should be taught this in schools, instead of (or in addition to) being taught how to calculate the area of a circle.

I know which one is more useful in everyday life....

Still gathering requirements...

MasterBait has more data than eek

Farage-Jugend

Respect my authoritah!

NotAllThere is always on top

Education Secretary Damian Hinds was launching a project teaching teenagers "life skills", such as budgeting, sharing ...
    I read that at first glance as "shaving" - perhaps in an attempt to prevent them becoming hipsters.

Quote Originally Posted by original PM View Post
    It could be included as part of the national curriculum - you know so that place where our kids go to learn all sorts of useful tulip actually includes some real life useful tulip.
    Where I live, kids in the second and third tiers of mainstream education are taught how to do their tax returns. Kids in the top tier - destined for university - don't. I guess the idea is that they'll be able to afford to pay someone else to do it.

I'm pretty sure that budgeting was part of Domestic Science when I was at school.
    Hmm. I'm beginning to suspect that you need to find all the packing the computer came in...