• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NHS fees - right or wrong?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Should have handed back the babies body, it would be the decent thing to do.

They then should have gone after them for the fees after a few weeks.
    Especially since debts can be enforced across the EU.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      EXACTLY. Try this in the USA - she wouldn't have got through the front door without a credit card or means to pay the bill.
      Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      EXACTLY. Always remember the story of the young lady who broke her back in Egypt. She was giving horse riding lessons apparently.
      Two irrelevant stories about non-EU countries.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        and all the ex-pats living in Spain who come back to the UK for treatment to be told they no longer qualify for free treatment
        They don’t, they should have an EHIC from Spain for travelling, and be charged for Private if they’ve booked treatment that they’re flying back for.

For U.K. travellers in the EU, the NHS appears to do a Provisional replacement certificate (PRC) service, where if you are in a hospital on the continent and don’t have your EHIC card with you, you can call back to the U.K. and they will fax your entitlement to the other hospital.

Wonder why the couple (or the NHS themselves) didn’t just do this?

Okay, the couple were probably traumatised at the loss of their baby. So why didn’t the NHS just help them out?

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          They don’t, they should have an EHIC from Spain for travelling, and be charged for Private if they’ve booked treatment that they’r
          Okay, the couple were probably traumatised at the loss of their baby. So why didn’t the NHS just help them out?
          It was carried out by an bureaucrat/manager. No sense of humanity or decency.

If you are entitled to help but fail to fill in paperwork, the bureaucrats can do it retrospectively. But they don't have to.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            I do know of case here where a tourist fell ill without their EHIC. They were able to claim retrospectively - but the authorities are not obliged to allow that.

In any case - if you travel outside your own country, even in Europe with an EHIC, make sure you've got proper travel insurance to cover any accident or sickness that, crucially, covers you to the same standard as at home. The EHIC is effectively a safety net, but it will only give you the same cover as locals. It won't get you home, repatriate your body etc.

Still, pretty callous of the hospital.
            All this, and all day long. Take insurance, and not the cheapest insurance.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Umm unless they had a fridge to put that body in within a few days it would have looked like melted cheese and stunk to high heaven.

trust me I know.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                Umm unless they had a fridge to put that body in within a few days it would have looked like melted cheese and stunk to high heaven.

trust me I know.
                Actually, that is a good point. They can't afford to pay the bill and I'm guessing perhaps they could not afford to pay for travel insurance. How would they get the body back.

Now I'm thinking of dead bodies. Ok I need to find a more cheery thread to read.

Comment

Actually, that is a good point. They can't afford to pay the bill and I'm guessing perhaps they could not afford to pay for travel insurance. How would they get the body back.

Now I'm thinking of dead bodies. Ok I need to find a more cheery thread to read.
                  Try Mumsnet!
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                    Try Mumsnet!
                    Well, thanks to a couple of people on here, Mumsnet is no longer a safe place for CUK members.

The things they say about us, one even dared to say our forum is boring.

Comment

Well, thanks to a couple of people on here, Mumsnet is no longer a safe place for CUK members.

The things they say about us, one even dared to say our forum is boring.
                      When what they should have said is that 4132 of the posts are boring
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X