NHS fees - right or wrong? NHS fees - right or wrong?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 31

I Am Legend

BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?

Default NHS fees - right or wrong?

NHS fees: 'Couple couldn't take baby's body home' - BBC News

A woman from Western Europe on holiday in the UK came in - she was eight months pregnant and had started bleeding. Obstetricians performed an emergency Caesarean but the baby died.

When she and her partner were recovering on a ward, they were interviewed by an overseas visitors manager, in charge of billing.

Because they did not have a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) they were told they had to pay £10,000 - which they could not do.

----------------------------------
    Why go on holiday at 8 months? Why not get an EHIC card?

Double Godlike!

original PM is a fount of knowledge

Well if you read the article where by it is people who either have not got the correct paperwork or who maybe entered the country illegally - then you have to say that the line must be drawn somewhere.

However it needs to be drawn consistently as too often you do see this

He said rules were not applied consistently - and "easy targets" were made of those less likely to "kick up a fuss".

Generally arsey loud aggressive ******* get treated better than meek timid people who do not argue - and that is wrong.

Fingers like lightning

filthy1980 's job has never been outsourced

sounds like a horrible story, agree with the above there has to be a consistent line drawn, if you use the service you pay simple as

i'd like to see a breakdown of that £10k though

I Am Legend

Quote Originally Posted by filthy1980 View Post
    sounds like a horrible story, agree with the above there has to be a consistent line drawn, if you use the service you pay simple as

i'd like to see a breakdown of that £10k though
    £1000 for conducting the procedure
    £9000 for knowing how to conduct the procedure

Fingers like lightning

FrontEnder is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    NHS fees: 'Couple couldn't take baby's body home' - BBC News

A woman from Western Europe on holiday in the UK came in - she was eight months pregnant and had started bleeding. Obstetricians performed an emergency Caesarean but the baby died.

When she and her partner were recovering on a ward, they were interviewed by an overseas visitors manager, in charge of billing.

Because they did not have a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) they were told they had to pay £10,000 - which they could not do.

----------------------------------
    Why go on holiday at 8 months? Why not get an EHIC card?
    I don't think the law requires you to have an EHIC card. If you're from another EU country and can prove it, that should be enough to avoid fees.

I Am Legend

Quote Originally Posted by FrontEnder View Post
    I don't think the law requires you to have an EHIC card. If you're from another EU country and can prove it, that should be enough to avoid fees.
    Health cover for temporary stays in another EU country - Your Europe

If you don't have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), or you can't use it (for instance, for private health care), you can't be refused treatment, but you might have to pay for your treatment upfront and claim reimbursement once you get home.

HTH

Double Godlike!

original PM is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by FrontEnder View Post
    Well if you are from the UK travelling in Europe and you have no EHIC you are screwed if you do not have separate medical insurance.

So no reason why someone from Europe travelling to the UK should be treated any differently.

Some things in Moderation

cojak is a fount of knowledge

When I had a skiing accident in France a few years ago the very first thing the doctor asked was 'I need your credit card details'. And he had no qualms about that at all.

(I did have insurance but I had to cough up the dosh first and then claim it back once I'd got home.)

My post count is Majestic

d000hg - scorchio!

Rules should be enforced however rules that are rigidly enforced "computer says no" can be horribly cruel. There should always be space for human intervention to apply compassion and decide if some help can/should be given even if legally it doesn't have to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

WTFH is always on top

Default NHS fees - right or wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    If you don't have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), or you can't use it (for instance, for private health care), you can't be refused treatment, but you might have to pay for your treatment upfront and claim reimbursement once you get home.
    Quote Originally Posted by original PM View Post
    Well if you are from the UK travelling in Europe and you have no EHIC you are screwed if you do not have separate medical insurance.

So no reason why someone from Europe travelling to the UK should be treated any differently.
    And they aren’t being treated differently. You would be “screwed” just the same if you don’t have a means of payment, until you can claim it back - see BP’s post.

Shame it will be going for those of us who venture outside of Little England.
    Strong and Stable Moderation