• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fraudulent Transaction with Debit Card

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    So the fraud squad will be waiting for them to check in at the airport?
    No, they won't, 'cos it never happened.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
      So the fraud squad will be waiting for them to check in at the airport?
      Well, I rang Ryan Air, they found the transaction from my card number and have confirmed it's linked to a booking. They've passed it to their fraud dept & I'm waiting for an update. As far as the bank is concerned, they can't do anything until the transaction has completed. It's been showing as pending on my account for 48 hours so in limbo really at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
        Anyone had this happen to them?

Just happened to me. Wont say how much but given that the card payment was to Ryan Air, the fraudster must have a very big family.

Have had quite a bit of wedge in there this week to fund exchange of contracts on a house so timing couldn't be worse. Normally I only have enough to last me the month for this very reason.

Given that I only use secure sites, I can't work out how someone have got my card details. Is reading out your card details over the phone to the local oil merchants, or whatever, really secure? We all do it but how can we trust the person on the other end of the phone to be reputable?
        Had it a few years ago. Worked out it was a petrol station in Essex, one where (back in the day), cards were swipped with the carbon paper. Clearly someone dodgy kept a copy of the carbon paper and they used this to get my card cloned. This was ages ago, like I say, before payments needed a pin number or (online) the CVS number.

Upshot was the bank refunded everything, and quite smartly. I just had to prove that when the card was used fraudulently that I was not present. You should be able to do the same - bank fraud departments are reasonable people.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

About a year ago couldn't use my card, phoned the back and went through a long list of transactions "for you try to use your card at website a to buy b?" Seems they caught all but one transaction (online gift vouchers if I recall correctly) which they promptly refunded.

Also had letters from world pay to my company asking me to confirm I was setting up some accounts. Seems some fraudster had used my company name to open an account with them and was charging random people money.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            Had it a few years ago. Worked out it was a petrol station in Essex, one where (back in the day), cards were swipped with the carbon paper. Clearly someone dodgy kept a copy of the carbon paper and they used this to get my card cloned. This was ages ago, like I say, before payments needed a pin number or (online) the CVS number.

Upshot was the bank refunded everything, and quite smartly. I just had to prove that when the card was used fraudulently that I was not present. You should be able to do the same - bank fraud departments are reasonable people.
            Yes, had that happen to me when they swiped my card in a restaurant in Saudi Arabia years ago

Months later, when I noticed approx £50 had being charged to my account each month from that restaurant I got on the phone and got back my money . Gave the girl on the other end of the phone a laugh though when she asked for the name of the company. Big Boy Restaurants:

Comment

From September 13th or before all transactions (PSD2 regs) will be 2FA so if joker has your credit card and try’s to make a payment the bank will send you a app/sms/telcon/sign+ etc to authorize the amount, (on your trusted device) who you are paying and a auth code - will end all this overnight

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                From September 13th or before all transactions (PSD2 regs) will be 2FA so if joker has your credit card and try’s to make a payment the bank will send you a app/sms/telcon/sign+ etc to authorize the amount, (on your trusted device) who you are paying and a auth code - will end all this overnight

This is great when you phone battery is dead, you lost/haven't got the charger and you are trying to buy one as an emergency measure...

Comment

That's me ****ed then...

Sent from my Living Room via Second Class Post using Contractor UK Forum Pen and Paper App
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

The queues in supermarkets will be out of the door with people who either don't have a phone, or have forgotten to bring it with them. I'm guessing this is an EU Directive, right?
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      This is great when you phone battery is dead, you lost/haven't got the charger and you are trying to buy one as an emergency measure...
                      Or, as happened to me in Australia last year, your phone suddenly decides to get the battery equivalent of dysentery and completely discharges. Fortunately, I could commandeer my wife's phone and stick my SIM in it (Phnaa, phnaa).

It was a bit odd, since one of our party also had a Sony (different model from mine) where the exact thing happened at the same time. We never got an explanation.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X