• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driver assist cars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post
    I was reversed into by a bmw using park assist, I told him maybe he should look when reversing and to take it back as it obviously doesn’t work
    how do you know it was a male BMW ??

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      how do you know it was a male BMW ??
      Because BMW drivers are *******?
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
        The more "driving-aid" tech that gets added to cars, the less people will feel the need to pay attention...

It's a downward spiral.

Yeah, it's a slippery slope. Servo brakes, clutches, synchromesh gearboxes - down with that sort of thing!

Sheesh.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Yeah, it's a slippery slope. Servo brakes, clutches, synchromesh gearboxes - down with that sort of thing!

Sheesh.
          Exactly, I remember the days people would have several pints before driving just to ensure they would concentrate on their driving. Very safe, often you would see people doing 30 following the white line to perfection.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
            Because BMW drivers are *******?
            Very true. Only Audi drivers are worse.....

Comment

What the doggy said. There's already too much dependence on tech in this world, we don't want any more.

Especially not in cars.
              How many times do you see cars and trucks wondering over the lane lines on the motorway? Too often is my answer. Hardly a journey goes by without having to take evasive action at some point on motorway journies, bring on the technology I say.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

OK, so as someone who has a few "driver assists" on their car, here's my thoughts:
                1. Lane Departure. Useful, but I keep it turned off.
                What does it do in my car? First, if you drift over the lane lines the steering wheel will start to vibrate. If you continue to drift, the steering wheel will start to turn back towards the lane. If you're holding on to the wheel, it's not enough to pull more than your grip. If you're overtaking, then it is switched off - cause you're using your indicators. If you're not using your indicators, then it thinks you're just drifting.

2. Forward Collision. Useful.
                What does it do in my car? If the car in front suddenly slows down/stops, or someone steps onto the road or opens a car door, initially it sounds a warning in the car, then it applies the brakes. I don't think I've ever been close enough to have had an accident, but it has gone off a couple of times, making me more aware of others road users.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  The more "driving-aid" tech that gets added to cars, the less people will feel the need to pay attention...

It's a downward spiral.
                  I wouldnt mind seeing the research on that one

Seriously, cars will be driving themselves in a few years, get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                    So thats how ExMrsBP14 wrecked my car!

Comment

BMW 5 Series 2018 - , Audi A8 2019 - work sublimley. Both happy at 210 on the Autobahn. Until you get to France and then they slow down for every lorry speed limit.

Tesla is superb, but I cannot live with the interior quality. Had an S a couple of years back.

S-Class and 7 series oddly are not that great.

BMW Self Park is a hazard. MB is nearly flawless.

I drive 12k km a month and could not go back to a car without full assist options.

Comment

Working...
                      X